What are the perfect numbers?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kitty Nic, Oct 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty Nic

Kitty Nic New Member

My Doyle has been on Lantus for about 4 months or so now. He was having his curves done at the vets but he was getting stressed so we've been doing them at home, with random tests in between and reporting back to the vet. I've been reading a lot on here and am trying to understand the spreadsheet. What numbers/colours are 'perfect'? he's been going into the bright green on his random +4 tests this past week. He shows no signs of hypo and is his 'normal' self so I'm not sure how to tell if he is too low. We are going to do a full curve on Wednesday as we will be in all day (isn't practical to do regular tests when you work). He is currently on 2.0u and we are in the UK.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

With the AT meter, you want 68-150.

Is there a way you can test before giving insulin every time? You need to reduce because lime green is too low. You know if the cat is too low only by testing. Cats usually don't have symptoms of being hypo.

Kitty Nic likes this.
  3. Kitty Nic

Kitty Nic New Member

Thanks. I did think we might need to reduce. I've just got the 0.3 needles so I'm thinking suggesting to my vet we try 1.75u. It's really difficult testing him before his shot because he is sat waiting for food and gets fidgety. I didn't realise they don't have symptoms so figured he was ok!

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Any test under 68 at any time in the cycle calls for a reduction of .25. Your cat needs to go down to 1.75 tonight. The lowest point in a. Y me can be anywhere but usually between +5-7. When you get a test under 68 you need to give some high carb food or food with ,Mark or honey and test every 20 minutes until I. The 70-80 range and then see if the numbers stay up without food for two hours. You would test every half hour without food but feed immediately if the number drops. Please read the stickiest on handling low numbers. Your car could have had a symptomatic hypo with those low numbers. At that point you would need to go to the ER and they would use a glucose drip.

Kitty Nic likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

If you can't test before the shot because he is so hungry then feed a little and test immediately. It takes about 15-20 minutes for the food to effect the results. You could give a little freeze dried protein, test, feed, and then shoot.

Kitty Nic and Kako & Tux like this.
  6. Kitty Nic

Kitty Nic New Member

We've already given him in PM shot at 2.0u. I'll test him shortly and make sure he isn't going to go too low tonight and then give him 1.75u in the morning. Thanks for explaining - just so much to read it can get a bit confusing!!

JanetNJ likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

I know there’s a lot of info. Your cat has been in the danger area twice and unfortunately you didn’t know to reduce. Please be extra vigilant tonight. I’d read and print this out. I had it where I could get to it for a long time.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...regulation-shooting-handling-low-numbers.147/

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Kitty Nic likes this.
  8. Kitty Nic

Kitty Nic New Member

I've tested him +2 and he was 122. Will keep an eye on him. I'll have a proper study of that too

tiffmaxee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.