? What (brand name) syringe do you use? And why do you like them?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by katiesmom, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

I am looking for a new syringe. I am having a lot of quality problems with the BD syringes. I throw out as many as I use, about 1/3 of them have to much lubricant in them. When I depress the plunger fully before drawing the insulin (after pushing the plunger up and down several times to try and spread the lubricant around), the lube comes right out of the needle! That would contaminate the insulin. I have had the hubs have come right off when removing the cover, bent and crooked needles, had plungers break right off in my hand- and the markings on the barrels are terrible, crooked, and inconsistent. I am sick of it, they are pretty much the most expensive syringe out there, the quality should be much, much better.

Monojects I like, but for the life of me I can never get the bubbles out of a Monoject for some reason.

So I am looking for another brand. Suggestions?

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

3. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, we used to use BD and never had that problem, but we switched to the Walgreens brand. They still aren't terribly consistent in their markings, but I use one old one as my guide and I always measure based upon that one, comparing the one that I am using to it (instead of calipers). I don't remember the exact price, but they were cheaper than the BD, but more expensive that the Wal-mart Relion brand. They are the U-100s, the longer needle (don't remember the exact measurement, but not the stubby ones), with 1/2 unit markings. I like the way that they are lubricated -- not too much, not too little. No problems like you speak of at all.

But I have to say that another reason that I use them is that the folks at my local Walgreens pharmacy are really nice, they don't give me the stink eye when ordering syringes like I am a drug addict. We don't need an Rx for syringes in my state, so now they've just started ordering me a 6 months supply at a time, and they ask how Whisper is doing when I pick them up :)

Sandi.

4. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I buy the Walmart brand of syringes because it's convenient, but they are really pretty crappy. I am also looking for a new brand, so please post the ones you find and your opinion of them! :):):)

5. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I've always used Monoject. I've tried some others that were donated and just don't like using anything else. I have noticed some quality issues lately like lines visibly crooked or not in the right spot, but nothing that makes me want to switch.

6. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

I use the BD ultra-fine. I've noticed that every once in a while I get a syringe with an abnormal (bent) needle or that has a crack and won't draw up insulin. They do seem to have a lot of lubrication for comfort, and as long as you pump the syringe a few times before inserting it into the insulin it draws up easily. I'm not sure how much I'd worry about contaminating the insulin, if this were a big issue, I think there would be more talk about it, as a lot of humans use lubricated syringes. Of course, they aren't keeping insulin for as long as we are either, so maybe it is a concern.

7. Elena

Elena Member

I just use the Publix Pharmacy ones, never had a problem

8. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I use CarePoint syringes but don't know if they are available in u100

9. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

@Melanie and Smokey - how do you get rid of the bubbles on a Monoject? I like the quality, but every time I have tried to use one, I cannot get rid of the bubble I always seem to get. The hub is a little different, and the normal flicking the syringe and trying to push the bubble out doesnt work for me.

10. JohnZ

JohnZ Member

I have also used the BD syringes and became very unhappy with them... so I decided to try out 3 other brands... of these the ones I really like are the Monoject’s... I've been using these since last May.

There's usually only a few in the box with the markings being off just a bit.

I started a post about this back in May... here's the link (which include a picture of from a really bad box of BD syringes)...

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...nd-bd-half-unit-syringes.158273/#post-1684423

and here's my summary of the syringes from that post ...

...Of the three the one that stands out- big time- are the Monoject’s. The markings on these are great- they are finely and clearly printed with the top (zero) line actually lining up with where the plunger ends up. The thickness of the plunger is also thinner than the other 2 which makes measuring the dose accurately much easier. I’ve now used these about 6 times and am very happy and confident with them. I actually looked at each pack of these and could not find a single one that looked like the markings were off. Granted- I’m looking at them thru the clear packaging- but still- they look good.

The markings on the Ulticare’s and SureComfort’s are inconsistently printed with the top (zero) line being several times thicker than the other lines. Also- the top (zero) line on the SureComfort’s appear to stop short of where plunger ends up- in other words- additional insulin that is beyond the top (zero) would be injected. This was a major problem I was having with the BD’s... making dosing very frustrating.

Anyway- love the Monoject’s so far- and- at this time- highly recommend them… anyone else using them?

The Ulticare’s and SureComfort’s are going back.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Critter Mom

Same problem with the BD Microfine U100 0.3 demis in the UK; sometimes the graduation marks can be off by over 1/4 of a unit.

I got into the habit of examining each and every syringe when I'd open a new box. I'd group the syringes with similar offsets together into 'sub-batches' so that at least the variation was from sub-batch to sub-batch rather than from syringe to syringe. I'd then use my standard 'reference syringe' to determine where to align the plunger for each sub-batch so as to minimise dosing inconsistency. (My hands are too shaky to be able to manage measuring with digital calipers.)

Not ideal but a sort of workaround for a difficult problem. BD's quality control is pants.

Mogs

12. billr

billr Member

I'd be curious about getting rid of air bubbles, too. We still have some Terumos that people used ot love, but are no longer available. We don't use them, though, because there's always an air bubble that floats around or hangs on the side wall so you can never get it out the top.

13. Critter Mom

Hi Bill,

How's Gizzie doing?

Try this:

1. Draw up a little more insulin than needed (c. 0.50-o.75 IU extra).

2. Invert the syringe (i.e. needle pointed down) and flick the barrel to try to centre the bubble in the middle of the plunger surface.

3. Gently invert the syringe again so that the needle is now pointing upwards.

4. With a slightly upwards motion flick the side of the barrel to nudge the bubble upwards - hopefully to a position centred under the needle.

5. Express some of the extra insulin to expel the bubble and then fine-tune the dose in your normal fashion.

Mogs

14. billr

billr Member

Hi Mogs, long time no hear! I got a new job awhile back and have not been on the Sugarcat forum in a long time. Things are getting to be a little less hectic, so I need to get back on there and catch up. Gizzie is doing well, still runs on the high side, but seems healthy otherwise.

Thanks for the suggestion! We'll give that a try.

A followup question: if you can't get it all out, is it still safe to shoot, if the bubble is small?

-Bill

15. Critter Mom

@billr -

I'm really glad to hear Gizzie is good in himself. Great avatar pic of himself. (((Gizmo)))

Congrats on the new job; I hope you're enjoying it. :)

My vet said a teensy bubble shouldn't be an issue. I followed his advice and if there was a very teeny-weeny bubble in the syringe I didn't have any problems with Saoirse. If I ever got a stubborn big bubble, I'd express all of the insulin, draw up some more and start again. (Tip: For me the cost of the insulin wasn't an issue so I would usually draw up an extra 1.0 to 1.5 units over the dose I needed before attempting bubble removal.)

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  16. Meya14

Meya14 Well-Known Member

Considering so many of these syringes have marking issues, I wonder what the FDA allowable % variance is for insulin syringe doses? Anybody have this info, it would be interesting to know.

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. billr

billr Member

Don't know about the FDA, but there is apparently an ISO standard for insulin syringes. It says the acceptable delivery of insulin by a 0.3 cc insulin syringe at 1 U is 0.53 to 1.47 U. There is also an ISO standard for injector pens which has an acceptable dose range for the 1 U dose of ± 1 U (0-2 U)! However, the standard not withstanding, there have been several studies (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4738218/ , https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3429299/ , https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14968895) that indicate at 1U doses, the pens are considerable more accurate than syringes and that the syringes "were dangerously inaccurate, clinically, at the 1-unit dose." The errors are a combination of things, like marking on the syringes, the amount actually delivered and the ability of the user to draw an accurate dose.

Given this, it would be nice if the pens had settings for at at least 1/2U, instead of 1U.

Meya14 and Critter Mom like this.
  18. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I push the stopper in before inserting the syringe in to the insulin pen and drawing, that will often result in no bubble. When I get a bubble I flick it to the tip of of the syringe, then draw more air into the syringe and *capture* the bubble with that. Then I push all of the air out and that usually gets rid of all the bubbles. I get a syringe here and there that I just cannot clear bubbles on for anything, but usually my method of drawing more air in works.

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Thanks for you reply...I do all that, and still cant get it out. I really dont know what I am doing wrong. It must just be me.

20. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Monoject all the way!!! Getting harder to find in Canada, BD seems to dominates the industry. Monoject has a much softer feel, especially the tabs where you grip the top. Compare one of those fat rubber-grip pens to a Bic ballpoint and you get the idea. I have a stockpile of 1/3cc 29 gauge, the 31 gauge is getting harder to find. I've never had the bubble; I draw some insulin, then with the needle still in the vial push down hard and flick the vial to knock any bubbles off the end of the needle, then draw what you need. Sorry if that sounds condescending. For Eastern Canadians, some Metro stores may have boxes of 100 with a layer of dust on their bottom shelf. I got mine for 1/2 price because the pharmacist couldn't get rid of them. It depends on which supplier the individual stores use. I've seen them on Amazon but the thought of a counterfeit syringe freaks me out, like my counterfeit brake pads! By the way, if syringes are 29 cents and you can afford heroin why would anyone share a dirty syringe? Now that's way "Off Topic"!

21. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Forgot something re syringes... No Walgreens in Canada and Walmart does not sell their own syringes. Canada is a fickle country for retail. Target came and went within 2 years. Everything here has to be labeled in French and English. That's like making both English and Spanish the OFFICIAL languages in Arizona and New Mexico. That's not racist, it just makes manufacturing more complicated and expensive. Au revoir, Hasta luego and Meow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.