What brand syringe do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Alicia & Maggie (GA), Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

ReliOn U-100 31 gauge 8mm syringes with half unit marks came with my starting prescription of Lantus. Need to get more syringes and wondering what others use. Maggie still seems to be very aware of the poke when I give her injections, so looking to remedy that if I can.
    I know giving Lantus I must use U-100 syringes, and I think 31 gauge is the smallest available, and with her long hair I don't think I need a shorter length. Maybe someone makes a better quality syringe for a better injection experience?
    @Yong , @Bobbie And Bubba , @carfurby , @Judy and Boomer , @Osha , @Chubba , @LizzieInTexas , @Gizmo's Mom
    Thanks for all the knowledge you've shared and continued to share!! :)

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I used Monject syringes.

3. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

I use 31 gauge 8 mm as well, they are BD syringes which I don't recommend because the marks on the syringe looks like it's been drawn by a 3 year old. But it's what is available here.

AZJenks and Alicia & Maggie (GA) like this.
  4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I used the Relion 31 gauge, 8 mm ( short ) and I had no issue with them.

Sometime to keep in mind with the injections is that the needle has a long end and a bevel side. You want to make sure you are placing the needle so that the bevel is up and the needle glides into the skin better. I didn't realize that for a while until I read it is someone's thread.
    [​IMG]

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

7. Adrian and Chino

Adrian and Chino Well-Known Member

I tried Carepoint before finding these Ulti-Care U-100 Half Unit syringes and they are so much better. I almost never get bubbles when using these. When I measured 1 unit on a handful of syringes with calipers, I got very consistent measurements. When I multiplied the value by Chino's dose at the time, then measured it against each syringe, I got exactly the right dose at the corresponding mark on the barrel, so I trust that the dose I draw up is truly what the barrel shows. They're a little more expensive than others, since there are only 60 syringes in a box, but it's worth it for the accuracy and ease of use.

8. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

I have been injecting bevel up, but thanks for the tip.

@Yong Hey Yong, is there a reason you use 29 gauge instead of 31?

Thanks Sienne, Judy, Bobbie, Yong, and Carla!

9. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Hey Adrian, I often get some bubbles, so these sound useful. And the accuracy is definitely a plus!
    The link says they are "triple beveled", so does the tip look different than the picture Bobbie sent? Thanks!

10. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I have nerve damage so I can be a little shaky some days, I feel I'd be more likely to bend a 31g needle :smuggrin:.

11. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Yeah, the 31s do seem to bend if you look at them too hard! :smuggrin:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  12. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

I like these Sol-M syringes with 1/2" needles. I work at a veterinary clinic, and we use them there. I just find that I am sure I got the needle in when I use the longer needle, and Darwin doesn't react at all. I'm not sure how they are priced compared to other syringes, but they work out to $0.12/syringe which I find reasonable. Of course, I realized I just ordered 200 U-40 syringes instead of U-100 by complete mistake :rolleyes:

At least I can bring them to the vet clinic I work at, and we'll use them there - doh!

13. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Hi Tasha, that price fits within the range of the others: about $10-$17.
    Sound like something I would do as well... :smuggrin:

Tasha & Darwin likes this.
  14. Adrian and Chino

Adrian and Chino Well-Known Member

When I zoomed in to take a picture, I couldn't get my phone to focus so I Googled it:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Reason for edit: replaced with more accurate pic
  15. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

That's good! They're made for veterinary use, so I wondered if they ran more expensive, but I really like them! They're made specifically for fine dosing, and I find them pretty easy to read.

Lol, so silly of me! I was so set on making sure to order ones with 1/2" needle and 1/2 unit marking :p

16. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.