what canned food is really low in carbs?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bob and rusty, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob and rusty

bob and rusty New Member

what canned food is lowest in carbs.
    Wellness is really not that low.
    and it has things like sweet potato and cranberry

Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins recommends Platinum Performance vitamin powder. Is it ok for a diabetic cat? It has carbs.
    1/12/11

2. Dale

Dale Member

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

A lot of us feed Wellness and Fancy Feast....if u check the link provided, make sure u click on "old list" as well, (fancy feast is in that one)

I feed the 2 Wellness flavours that are 4-5% and they were fine for my diabetic kitty who is now diet controlled with it. :D

I did use EVO wet food at one point with about 2%, but discovered it to be too low for Luna.
    Also tried fancy feast, but had allergy issues with it, so we stuck with Wellness.

Usually anything under 10% is considered low carb. IF the foods contain gravy of any sort, it bumps up the carbs to medium and high, check the food charts for reference for your own kitty.

ECID (every cat is different) so keep that in mind....Some kitties are carb sensitive too.
    ....with home testing, you can see how your own kitty responds to LC, MC and HC foods (low carb, medium carb and high carb)

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Well, you don't want to feed exclusively 0 carb foods. Cats do need some amount of carbs in their diet.

Stick with foods that have under 10% carbs. There are lots of good brands to choose from. Some people stick with foods that are under 4% carbs because their cats do best on lower carbs.

Some brands do contain "useless" ingredients such as veggies and fruits but those only make up a very small part of the food.

5. bob and rusty

bob and rusty New Member

Do any of you use Platinum Performance vitamin which Elizabeth Hodgkins recommends in her book? 1/12/11

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i've used it in the past (fwiw, Dr. Hodgkins was my vet for awhile before selling her clinic) and it never appeared to effect my diabetic's glucose levels. life's been crazy for us for months now (self employment :sad: ) so i have to admit i'm not feeding as much raw food as I used to thus I'm not using the PP much anymore. the new vet who bought her clinic, whom I still go to, still sells it there too.

7. Jenny and Sue

Jenny and Sue Member

Merrick BG beef, turkey and chicken are all really low. All of the values are in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=28884

Jenny & Sue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.