What determines a positive for acromegaly?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Blue, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

The range for the IGF-1 test is 12-92 on Shadoe's results and her value was 120 H.

What exactly does that mean? Apparently, it's not considered as a positive, but only suspicious, according to my vets office. I take it she spoke to someone at MSU, but I don't know who.

I am not understanding how the test can be above the range, but not be a positive. If we were to test her again in 6months or something, could it possibly come back within the normal range, and what exactly does that normal range measure?

What could possibly be the cause for a High value if not acro? The vet's office wants to consider other problems that may be the cause of Shadoe's high dose which is at 13u BID with some R as needed, and she's still seeing days of all pink. We don't think Cushings so what else could there be?
    Sure dental could contribute to the high numbers but I can't see how dental or some low infection could be the cause of the 120 value for the IGF-1.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Well, a value over 92 for IGF-1 is positive.

There is now a Growth Hormone test available - I don't have the link handy though.

3. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I am almost as new to this as you are, but here are some thoughts:

Are there other kitties who have tested around the 120 result in the past? It might be useful to check the thread where folks posted their results and contact them to see their experience.

The other thing to keep in mind is that it seems to be the nature of the tumor to fluctuate in activity. Logically that would seem to mean that testing again at some point in the future would probably give a different number.

Hopefully, a low number might mean that his body is getting less signal to GROW for the present, which is a great thing. The growing seems to be what eventually makes a lot of them very sick and in pain (respiratory distress, enlarged heart ...?) I had a hard time understanding Dr Lunn's explanation, but didn't she say that IGF-1 was the indicator for growth?

Oh and there is an endocrinologist at MSU that my vet spoke to. He sends a written report within like 10 days or so. I think it says something like - some cats can have a false positive when they are on large doses, I don't really understand or remember it well enough to explain it to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.