? What do you all on TRP do if you have to travel for business?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ctmorris, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctmorris

ctmorris Member

I travel about 2 weeks out of the month which limits the kitty's tests to 2 a day - one when the pet sitters come in in the am and one in the PM - same deal. I can work the auto feeder - Lucky is starting to get used to it but I don't know how I'd do the rest. I would HATE to kennel her somewhere for those weeks - it would totally stress her out. She frequently pees in her carrier she gets so stressed - hence the vet that makes house calls being perfect for us.

Thoughts?

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

@Sienne and Gabby also has travelled regularly for work, and miss Gabby won't let anyone else test her. Sienne reduces the dose so she's safe. I've tagged her and she can explain more fully or give any tips.

Use that autofeeder - they are so awesome! And you might even want 2 feeders so you can set them to open multiple times while Lucky is alone. We used a Petsafe 5 Compartment feeder and at some point I saw someone say they had 2 of them set to open 8 times total through the day. I thought that was brilliant.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Julie's right -- Gabby is a diva. She won't let anyone except me test. I reduce her dose so she runs in higher numbers. My petsitter comes by twice a day to shoot. I also use a timed feeder. If you scroll through the various pages of Gabby's spreadsheet, you'll see the times when I've travelled in gray and you can see how I reduced the dose.

4. ctmorris

ctmorris Member

Thank you - I'm giving this a little more time but I think the TRP is potentially better for Lucky. I had this week to get her used to the feeder - she did ok. I may get another - we'll see - that would allow for smaller more frequent feedings more like she eats when I'm here to give her a tblsp or so at a time.

5. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Punkin didn't like the noise of the feeder tray turning, so he'd sit back about 15 feet away from the feeder, but the second it turned he leapt for it and was there in a second, just when it opened to the food. :rolleyes: We fed him from it at +3 every am and pm so he would be used to eating from it and we could always count on him doing so when we were gone.

6. MollynSkooter

MollynSkooter Well-Known Member

I have two of the 5 compartment feeders and LOVE IT!!!! I have one for his am cycle and one for his pm cycle...on of the best investments I got.....skooter was getting fed 5 times a cycle, now 4 times a cycle, so I was getting up at 3am for his +9 snack because that seemed to really help with his preshot numbers.....

It is great to spend the little extra time at the beginning of each cycle so I don't have to worry/think about it for the rest of the cycle....

7. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Those feeders are a life saver! My only problem with ours is sometime Cinco sleeps through the sound of it turning and misses a meal. It was originally designed to have an alarm you set to ring, but they ended up not putting that in the final product. I wish they had done it!

My petsitter will get a mid-cycle test during the daytime, but not at night, so I have her shoot a reduced dose. Cinco generally gets back on track within a day or two when I get home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.