What do you do?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Booger's Mom, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Booger has had 3 hypo episodes in a short period of time. After the last episode, I have him on 2 units. When he gets down below 150 during 12:30 and 2:30 which is his nadir times, I usually give him a little bit of food. I am afraid he is going to continue to drop. Should I not do that and just see how it plays out by checking him every 30 minutes to an hour or am I doing the right thing by making sure he doesn't go hypo? What do you do in these situations?

2. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Sorry I did not see where he was hypo?

Do you mean the green ones? 97, 77, 80?

Those look pretty good - just sayin’.

Ok I see the two meters - on the alpha trak I can see what you mean

Hmmm - how did he act during those times?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  3. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

He really doesn't show any symptoms. I can just see it in his eyes. I know that sounds funny but that is how I can tell he may be low. He was pretty calm except the second time the other day when he went down to 42, I gave him some dry food to help raise him slowly and he was like looking up and around like he was hallucinating or something then he would eat.

4. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I trust your gut...you know your kitty better than anyone...let me think and study your spreadsheet

Which one are you using ? The human metered one or both kinda?

5. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

First off I think it’s great that he’s getting a snack in the afternoon- is he overweight or no?

6. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Honestly its been kinda both. I am mainly using the human sheet going forward for the time being. I only have 7 AT2 strips left and want to save those for a glucose curve.

Magic Johnson likes this.
  7. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

No he is about 11lbs. Last weigh in at the vet he was 10.8 but I am sure he's at about 11 now.

8. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Any way to get him off dry????

9. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

I have been working on it. But in times when he is getting lower, hewon'tt eat the wet food.

10. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I’m thinking of you & waiting for more experienced peeps! But... I wouldn’t get excited at that reading, but Baby has only had one hypo. If you’ve tested in the past at this point & hes remained safe, them there’s no reason to get too excited. I hope I made since. Usually half way or 7 hrs through, the insulin is depleting & he’s not going to go much lower. You’re doing a great job being watchful!! Fantastic & he’s lucky to have you as a mom.

11. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Thank you so much! I really am trying:)

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  12. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I totally get that...that makes sense!

13. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Hi @Becky & Baby Girl Kitty - I realize I’m not experienced with Vetsulin but figured it doesn’t hurt to ask questions - if you feel I’m not qualified to ask questions - let me know?

14. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

I am not sure that is what she meant and I honestly appreciate all the advice and help I can get right now so thank you and ask away!

15. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Thank you - I wasn’t sure either so I thought I’d ask :)

16. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I wish there was a Vetsulin thread...

I was curious when he goes into those hypo episodes you are speaking of, I am guessing he eats fine when not in those and when he goes in those dips like that, he won’t eat and that’s when the only thing he will eat is the dry kibbles?

17. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Correct. He is finiky with the wet food always. Except a few days ago he ate the Tender Liver and Chicken Feast FF like all of it lol. Normally he will just lick the liquid out and leave the food. Those 2 days he didnt. That was right before the last hypo. Now, he will just lick the liquid lol.

18. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Stock up on those! :)

I need to know more about Vetsulin- I’m thinking there is no harm in giving a cat that has a normal weight as yours does, a snack in the afternoon - is it possible to give a little kibble with the juice from the tender liver and chicken draped over it? Instead of just kibble? Only thinking of his gut and getting extra fluids.

Someone told me on this board regularly they break up the meals from 2 x a day to 4 x a day splitting the meals and that it is better for the kitty in stabilizing their meal/ glucose. I’m thinking that - that is not harmful and might be better for him?

Just a thought... perhaps a Vetsulin expert will weigh in here soon? I will @Kris & Teasel as she will know :)

19. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Oh
    heavens no! I meant nothing of the sort! I’m talking about me & im sure we were typing at the same time! I just like to try & answer if no one else is... I want everyone to try & speak up in any way! Sorry if you took it personal as I’m a newbie too! Please... I meant I’m not experienced enough but I’ll try to make sense!! Lol

20. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

So sorry - I misread... my apologies... :)
    Believe me I am a newbie here LOL i find diabetes very interesting though - :bighug:

21. Becky & Baby Girl GA

@Magic Johnson - you have always had plenty of great things to add to all convos I’ve seen! Again I did not direct that towards anyone nor would ever do that. I truly appreciate everyone for trying & any suggestions. I just want you to know that! You give great advice in my book! Please forgive if you took it that way!!!

22. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Not your fault at all - all mine truly!!!

I try, I’m not good but I really care and love cats and read up as much as I can - still working

I’d really like to help LoveMyBoogie... :)

23. Becky & Baby Girl GA

There is a vetsulin thread .. caninsulin/vetsulin. Also the Novolin is in that group. Baby started out on Novolin, & same ole story. Started her on a high dose & off we went to the ER with a hypo. That’s when I joined this forum & switched vets! It makes no sense that more vets don’t know much about diabetes. I found one that knows her stuff... finally

24. Becky & Baby Girl GA

I recently tried Dr. Elseys pure protein dry. It’s not that expensive & Baby likes it for a treat or small bowl. It is low carb so it wouldn’t raise the bg much for a true hypo event. I gave too much at first & she had some diahpoo. So I’ve just given her a little for an after test treat. I have 5 bags or more of low carb treats that she won’t touch! $$$ Picky girl!
    Baby eats 5 times a day (can food) & still eats like she’s starving. We’ve gained some weight here since her diagnosis! That belly of hers!!! But I do think it def helps keep their bg more level! It does in humans I know, it’s recommended.

25. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

26. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Yes that’s the thread @Magic Johnson
    Hope someone there will help. It is an in & out insulin. No hold over or depot qualities. @LovemyBoogie please read those stickies & always ask questions. That is the only way we learn!

27. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

I will add I tried Magic on 3-4 meals a day splitting them up - it did not work at first BUT THEN. I went on a much lower carb FF - I used low carb FF classic salmon feast or chicken feast or the beef or the one yours like but I only gave 1/2 THEN for the other half of her portion I gave the zero carb. FF FISH & SHRIMP flaked zero carb 1/2 can of that and for a snack and man she dropped and stayed dropped so be careful with the zero carb! :)

Keep in mind Magic was overweight not anymore she’s pretty trim now she wants more but I don’t wanna go back to overfeeding - her glucose will also go up if I overfeeding her -

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  28. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Yea see that is scary I’m used to Prozinc which is longer acting...

29. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Yes I agree! Prozinc has no left over at the end of the cycle but is slower in & out. But some do ok on that insulin. It’s more cost affective.
    I need to get Baby weighed cause I’m sure my vet would say to cut back. She’s always hungry it seems... I’ll do smaller portion to see if she’s goes for it!

30. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

@LovemyBoogie after reading some of the posts over on http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/caninsulin-vetsulin-and-n-nph.19/

It’s seems you will want to ask them if snacks interfere with the fast acting insulin? Because if it’s fast in and out - then snacks might raise the glucose higher between - which might not be as good for your ultimate goal of lowering the overall range into yellow then to blue

They will know!!

However I would say if hypo do as you’ve done

31. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm all for giving several small meals a day. Teasel gets 4 - breakfast, lunch, dinner and a bed time snack. At diagnosis the vet said to feed only twice a day but I told her that wouldn't work for my cats.

32. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Out of curiosity, would it be different for a fast acting insulin? I just wondered ... I’m all for the feedings LOL - Maji will just get fat if too much...

33. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

No I don't think so. I think it keeps them happier and it can help stabilize BG. If you're worried about weight gain divide up what seems to be a suitable ration into several small meals for the day and don't give any extra.

34. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Totally agree! It makes sense even for people!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.