What do you think, increase dose a little?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RockyRoo, Dec 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockyRoo

RockyRoo New Member

He's peeing more than he was and it doesn't look like he's dropping too low...

I was thinking up to 2 units vetsulin?

2. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Sorry nobody has replied, it's a bit quiet at the moment because if the holidays.

Dose increases should be made in .25iu at a time. I see from your spreadsheet that you change dose quite frequently, depending which method you are following you need to hold doses for at least 6 cycles before changing dose.

I'm not experienced with your insulin to suggest dose changes so hopefully someone will be along shortly.

3. RockyRoo

RockyRoo New Member

Thanks for the advice. I do change it sometimes since we are adjusting to low carb food and I'm afraid of giving him too much. Sometimes if the PS number is lowish and I have to leave for work and can't watch him, I'll give him less. Or my petsitter doesn't want to check his blood, so I tell them to do less. What do you mean by cycle? Like one 24 hr period?

4. Kate & Toby

Kate & Toby Member

Hey Allison, a cycle is a 12 hour period. I understand what you're saying, and like I said your insulin is different because it's in and out again within 12 hours, so maybe it's different. Its certainly a juggling act. Let's keep your post bumped up the list in hope of a reply. You could also amend the thread title to include a (?) To get more attention x

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

You've been holding the 1.5u dose for too long and numbers seem to have gone up a bit rather than down. I think the last suggestion was to try a dose of 2u but it appears you only gave that dose once since and then dropped it to 1.5u. I understand being concerned when you can't monitor but with pre-shots in the pinks or reds, it appears 2u would be just fine. It would be helpful if you could get syringes with half unit marking to be able to do 0.25u dose adjustments.

Test during the day when you are able and if you can't test during the day, make it a habit to get at least one before test every night to get an idea of what Rocky is doing at night. Most kitties go lower at night than they do during the day. Also, if you are concerned about Rocky when leaving for work, you can always leave slightly higher carb food out for him to eat should he need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.