? What does a depressed cat look like?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Phoebes (GA), Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

How would you describe a depressed cat?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hmm hard to say since they don't talk. My cc has pretty bad arthritis and for about six months couldn't get to the top of her tree (her favorite spot) without one of us lifting her. She was rarely coming out of the basement, rarely walked around, tail down, and grumpy when she did come up. I think it was a combo of losing Zimmy (He and she were our only cats for several years and she liked him more than she likes the others) and pain from bad teeth and arthritis. She always walked with confidence.... Tail and head up... We always called her the queen! But for months she walked head down a bit, tail back, and no interest in playing.

I think she was depressed and not feeling well.

So what has snapped her out of it was a trip to the vet.... We learned she had dental problems... She had been reabsorbing several teeth in the back (we had no idea) and needed one pulled and another filled.
    The cosequine for her arthritis wasn't cutting it anymore so we started adequan shots.
    One month into that and she's like her old self! Tail is up, she wants to play, moving around the house more... The sparkle is back in her eyes. And just this past week she has started getting into her tree herself!! She looks so proud of herself and is purring all the time. :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I think you see it in the eyes. Also, as Janet described, they are just not themselves, not doing the things they used to like to do, carrying themselves in a 'downtrodden' way.

4. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

It would seem to differ for every cat but I do agree if they are not doing the usual things they enjoy, that's a good indication. My Tigger's favorite activity is sleeping, lol, but he shows interest in affection, his brudder running around and sometimes chases him.

5. Phoebes (GA)

@JanetNJ you have described Phoebe to a T. We started her on canna so hopefully we can help her pain. I do not want her to suffer. The next treatment would be steroids. :( I see so little joy during the day. She lies in our bedroom under that prayer table at least 18 hours a day. Not interested in play, or getting up on anything. She walks with tail down unless it's eating time. I just really wonder if we are holding her here for us. My heart is breaking.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. JanetNJ

The bupe can make them really sleepy. How is her neuropathy?

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  8. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. Maybe the new pain treatment will make her feel better. I hope things turn around for her. :bighug:

9. apple

apple Member

What does her toaster do for her these days?

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  10. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Sending hugs, Angela :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Phoebes (GA)

Still sings at it. But dies it from where ever she is. Doesn't come to it.

12. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Prayers that she will come out of it, feel better, and be herself again soon. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Phoebes (GA)

No neuropathy that I can tell. She has gotten b12 since first diagnosed. It's mostly arthritis. And or acro.

14. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Angela, Squallie went through a period where he seemed very down and uninterested in life around him. I don't know what caused it but he did come out of it and is doing great now, so please don't lose hope!!!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. JanetNJ

Does she walk stiff from the arthritis? My vet said I can give the adequan shots every three weeks of she needs it rather than four.

16. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I wish they could talk and tell us what is wrong. :(

Hope the new meds help and she starts to pull out of it. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  17. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Tux was depressed when his friend Smokey crossed. Tux is healthy and his depression was from loss, it would be different if other medical issues are present.

18. apple

apple Member

How is she today?

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  19. Phoebes (GA)

She is the same except for eating has gone down, but numbers have gone up. She bit me today because I petted her too long. Lol not really funny but that's fiesty Phoebe. I know she would only do that to her momma if she was feeling bad. The adequan I've been giving about every 2 weeks. I don't think it makes a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.