What does AMPS and PMPS mean

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by puddersmom, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puddersmom

puddersmom Member

I am trying to figure out Oreo's SS. And so far that's the only thing I can't figure out. Can someone tell me.

Thanks-
    Niki and Pudders.

2. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Hi Niki,

AMPS = AM (morning) PS = pre-shot
    PMPS = PM (evening) PS = pre-shot

There is a sticky on the top of one of the pages that explains some of the jargon used here. Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15885

I still have to look up some of the abbreviations on occasion, :lol: You are doing great if that is the only question you had on the spreadsheet. I had tons of questions when we first started, but everyone is great and so helpful.

Kathie

3. puddersmom

puddersmom Member

What is considered a low for a cat? My friend who has a diabetic cat said don't let it get below 150. But when Oreo was 86 last week. I was the only one that panicked. Everyone said he was fine. But when do I have to worry and give him corn syrup?

4. RubenTheCat

RubenTheCat Member

Hi Niki,
    your doing great. Just stoping in to say hi.
    :D

5. asoolty

asoolty Well-Known Member

excellent topic ! I was lost my self when I first join here with all the terms, thus I suggest that an expert can make a condo in the sticky that contains all the terms for then new members.. because not all of as are familiar with diabetes and medical terms used here.

just a suggestion, and welcome onboard dear. :smile:

6. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Normal, when using a human glucometer , is 60 - 120, but I have seen others say that as low as 40 cold be normal for some kitties. I don't like Zeus to go below 50.

86 is a great number, and is well within safe range. However for a new FD cat, and the scared Mom, the first few low numbers can be really scary. If you are ever unsure about whether to give a shot, come here and post, the experts are wonderful, and very helpful.

7. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I agree with everything Kathie says! Mocha is OTJ and on a few occasions when I test her, she falls below 50 just on her own ... so I guess it varies .. but, 86 is a great number, totally in the healing range!

8. puddersmom

puddersmom Member

Ok what is OTJ? And sometimes when I test Oreo it seems like I have to prick him a 100 times. I get impatient and he gets mad. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? His ear is warm. So I don't get it. Any suggestions?

Thanks-
    Niki and Oreo/Pudders

9. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

The ear will start to bleed more easily after some time goes by. And most cats seem to have one ear that bleeds better than the other one. I know how discouraging it is to have to poke over and over - I've had that problem recently with Muffin, and her ear is used to it. One suggestion is if you hold the ear near the top, it will slow the blood flow, and then milk the ear underneath your poke to get blood out.

10. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

OTJ = Off The Juice, it's a term used for kitties that no longer need insulin

With pokes, first take a few minutes to breathe. If you are nervous, anxious, upset, etc. it will transfer to Oreo. It is definitely normal in the beginning to feel that way, but you really need to make it a pleasant experience for Oreo. Give some loving, pats, scratches etc. make sure you are both relaxed and not stressed, talk to him in a soothing voice. I know, sounds silly, but it really does help.

Next, how are you poking? Free hand? Do you use a lacing device? What gauge lancet are you using? In the beginning, the ears don't bleed easily so a bigger gauge really helps (the smaller the number means a bigger gauge. I think try for 26-28). Make sure you really heat the ear until it is warm, it helps to bring the blood into the ear. Also, are you using an antibiotic ointment with pain relief? Many use neosporin, it helps to make the blood drop bead up rather than getting lost in the fur. Are you using a tissue or something on the inner ear as well when you are poking? it helps to give you some stability, and you won't accidentally poke your finger. After you poke, sometimes you do need to sort of press on the ear and kind of push the blood to the poke spot. If Oreo is upset when you get the bead of blood, you can transfer it to the back of your fingernail and then from there transfer it to the test strip. Don't forget to hold a tissue to the ear to stop the bleeding and reduce the bruising.

Also the rule is.... Three pokes, and then take a break even if you don't get blood. And treats for Oreo, do you have freeze dried meat treats? My cat loved them in the beginning. Some people even let their cat nibble on the treats while their doing the poke, it's a good distraction.

11. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

OTJ = "off the juice", in remission :D :D :D Our Holy Grail!

Try 2 light pokes close together, it's like putting a second punch in the top of a can to prevent an airlock.

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Here's some info on Testing and Shooting Tips.

Not sure if we've explained it yet but we do one condo, or thread as they call them in Health, per cat per day. So all the questions you have, etc, go in that one condo. If you have a question, just note it in the subject line or open the first post of the day in your condo, click on "edit" and click on the ? Button above the subject line...then click "submit" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.