What exactly is a fructosamine test?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

I want to be able to ask a knowledgeable question when I talk to the vet, and I don't think they did that test on Harley.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope this helps.

Fructosamine (frook-TOH-sah-meen) is a sugar-albumin complex that forms in chronic hyperglycemic conditions. A fructosamine test is a blood test that is used in animals to measure the average level of glucose control over the past few weeks. The higher the serum fructosamine concentration, the higher the blood glucose levels have been over the lifespan of the albumin protein, which is 1-2 weeks in dogs and is presumed to be the same in cats[3]. The serum fructosamine concentration is meant to reflect the blood glucose concentration level over a 7-10 day period prior to testing.

3. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

The short answer is that it is a blood test that measures the average blood sugar level over the last 2 - 3 weeks. It is useful in diagnosing diabetes in cats because it elimates the element of vet stress or recent infections.

The long answer is here:
    http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/CLERK/Bates/index.php

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Per the reference cited above, Fructosamines form from any glucose in the blood not jst in hyperglycemic conditions. Normal, non-diabetic cats have a Fructosamine level it is just lower than in diabetic cats. Alos, I do not fully understand your statement "over the lifespan of the albumin protein," since per the reference "Glucose has a greater affinity for albumin in dogs and for globulins in cats.9"

5. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

I had to ask my vet to do the test, she didn't automatically include it. It made a difference in what she thought though. Before it, she wanted Sweety on insulin immediately, and after...( it was borderline, 287) she said to contiue with the diet change - and it worked! for us. I know because I hometested her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.