WHAT FOOD TO FEED!?!?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sweetpea21, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetpea21

Sweetpea21 New Member

My baby girl Pumpkin was just diagnosed with diabetes. Her blood results was 361 (normal is up to 159). I had noticed that since I started her on glucosamine treats a few weeks ago she was starting to drink water and pee a TON more than usual so brought her in right away. She is around 14-15 years old. Of course, I stopped giving her glucosamine, since it states right on the package to not give a diabetic cat glucosamine. Her normal food is Royal Canin Renal LP 21-C as a preventative measure for her kidneys. Its dry food but I have always added water to it and made a "soup" for her (she eats it all within seconds!). Her kidneys checked out fine with the blood tests. My issue now is how do I control her diabetes AND protect her kidneys for the future? I know high protein will affect her kidneys, yet so will diabetes....she loves chicken, so my thoughts were to keep her on the Royal Canin Renal LP 21-C "soup" I make and add a small chunk of chicken breast meat to add quality protein to her diet....any thoughts/suggestions? Any miracle wet or dry food out there I need to know about? My vet is confident that with the right diet and exercise this can be controlled within 4-6 weeks. Pumpkin is an indoor cat and is very spoiled...I will stop giving her human food treats like french fries (she loves) and cheez-it crackers. Any help is greatly appreciated since I love my punk so very much. Thank You

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

We use Dr Pierson's web site Cat Info as our nutrition "bible". You want low carb and low phosphorus foods. Read over her section on renal disease, too.

I feed all of mine Friskies pates. If I needed both low carb and low phosphorus, one brand is Friskies Special Diet pates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.