What happens if I don't give my cat insulin at exactly 12 hour intervals

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat Ma, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

I need to give my cat insulin twice a day at 12 hour intervals. Since my work schedule varies, there are days when I get home late. What happens if I give my cat an insulin injection 10 hours earlier or more than 12 hours after the initial injection for the day?

Debra Aubut and RocketPants like this.
  2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello,

It depends a lot on what insulin you are using.
    Regarding changing the time of the shot, some insulins are more 'forgiving' than others.

The recommended insulins here are the longer-lasting insulins; Lantus, Levemir, Prozinc and PZI. Although some folks have had success with other insulins.

Folks here recommend that the depot insulins, Lantus and Levemir, are given as close to 12 hours apart as possible.
    Prozinc and PZI are more flexible with regard to variable shot times.

Which insulin is your cat on?

Eliz

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Yes, it can be done. A few years ago on the weeks ends, do to work, I was on a 16/8 hour shooting schedule.
    I was using Lantus on three cats. Just make sure that after a long interval, you do not shoot more than normal since the BG will very likely be higher than normal. Also, for the next shot, after the shot interval you may may want to shot a reduced dose since the BG may be lower than normal.

4. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

What is the difference between Lantus, Levemir and Prozinc and PZI? I've seen more comments on Lantus and Levemir than Prozine and PZI. How does the Lantus and Levemir work differently than Prozine and PZI?

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Lantus forms small crystals under the skin which slowly dissolve to release the insulin to work.
    Levemir binds to protein in the blood and is slowly released to work.
    Both Lantus and Levemir are considered depot insulins, as there may be some residual insulin working at the time of the next shot. Being as consistent as possible in the time of shooting helps keep the amount of overlap similar and the effects more predictable.

ProZinc and PZI are not depot insulins. When the next shot is due, most of the insulin has been used and is gone. This means there are no carryover effects from shot to shot. With testing, you can learn your cat's response to various doses and adjust the dose based on that knowledge.

Sara.Mck likes this.
  6. CarolandTigger

CarolandTigger Member

My cat is on Vetsulin and doing well. The vet said he could be an hour off, one way or the other, or even two, and it would be ok.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Vetsulin/Caninsulin also is not a depot insulin. In cats, it frequently lasts less than 12 hours, which may result in needing to shoot every 8 hours for good control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.