What happens when you have to miss a dose?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by SamsonsMom, Apr 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

Hey, I'm a newbie whose cat was just Dx'd a few days ago and will start PZI 1 unit/2x day later this week. I work from home and have a flexible schedule, so overall the shots will not pose a problem, but there are some days where I simply will have to miss a shot and there's no way around it: for example, afternoons when I babysit from 3 pm to 11 pm. In that case, Samson would get his AM shot but not his PM shot. How do I approach this? Is it better to skip his PM shot altogether instead of giving it late? Do I give a smaller dose of insulin as a PM shot? Or skip it and give a larger dose the next morning? Or skip it and give his regular dose the next morning? Please help. And thanks!

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

When are his shot times in relation to the babysitting times? Meaning: how far off will it be?

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome to Prozinc! You did not manage to get away from me :p What time are his shots?

4. Yong & Maury GA

5. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

Haha, hi Yong! Well I haven't started the treatment yet but I'm assuming the schedule will be something like 8:30 am/8:30 pm. So on babysitting days the dose would have to wait until at least 11:30 pm (3 hrs. off)

6. Djamila

How often do you babysit? Anyone else live with you? It's not great to miss shots, so I'm just looking for any and all options.

7. Yong & Maury GA

Would you be able to change morning shot time to like 11:30am?

Djamila likes this.
  8. Djamila

Oh, and also have you been able to do any BG tests at home yet?

9. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

nope, I don't have the testing supplies yet, getting everything this week. I have a roommate so there will times when I can get a "sub" but I don't want to overly burden her with this. Morning shot time to 11:30 would be tricky because then their (I have another cat) breakfast would have to be really late, right?

also there will inevitably be times when I have to miss, so some guidelines on how to handle that would be great. Thanks!

10. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, you can feed them breakfast at say, 8am then a few hours no food, and then test (around 10 or 11)

11. Yong & Maury GA

12. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

Stressedcatmom do you mean feed, wait, test then dose? THAT would be much more convenient.

Still - if anyone could please weigh in with general guidelines for missing a shot, since it WILL happen, I would appreciate that :)

13. Djamila

Here's the thing: the basic guideline is a little complicated. There are a lot of if/then's involved. The most basic guideline is that you skip the dose. Depending on your cat's numbers though, that can make them feel pretty awful to run high for a cycle.

That's why we're asking so many questions first: we want to help you avoid having to miss the shot, and there are some tricks to work around it. I promise we aren't just trying to make this difficult ;)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  14. Djamila

If it's the kind of situation where you'll miss like one shot every couple of months...well, then that's the way it goes. But if you babysit one night/week, that's a lot of missed doses. So any way we can help you keep consistency is what we're trying to find.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  15. SamsonsMom

SamsonsMom Member

Totally, as a young person who lives with roommates tho it's simply a reality that there will be the (hopefully very occasional) missed dose. I'm also moving out of the country without my cat for one year :/ starting Sept. 1 so my roommate will assume TOTAL control over dosing and I'm trying to create a contingency plan for her. Thanks!

16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I had the occasional missed dose too...when that happens it is best really to just skip the dose. You have roughly 1 hour leeway with ProZinc but I wouldn't give a shot 3 hours late since then your morning dose will probably have to move too.

Since your roommate is going to take control of Samson when you move, is there any way she will be willing to learn to test and shoot? That way, once you're gone, she can continue with all that and help you out while you're here if you aren't home at shot time.

Other than that, I can say that if you just can't give a dose one night, it's probably best to skip and just dose again in the morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.