What human glucose meters do people in the UK use??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becki and sox, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Hi guys I've recently been testing on a freestyle freedom.

I took my meter with me to vets tonight as Sox recently diagnosed with diabetes.

So vet took blood sample. My freestyle reading was 16.5 the vets alphatrak was 27.0 quiet a big difference.
    Neither of my meters have control solution. So will need to see if I can purchase any but both are reading near enough the same so not sure if it's a meter issue or what.

So what meters are people out the using or had any experience of using freestyle meters?

Attached Files:

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Becki, the most popular human meters currently (it changes over time) are the Accuchek meters and the SD Codefree meter. These two are relatively easily available, and the SD Codefree is the cheapest to use.
    I've always used the One Touch meters, and currently use the One Touch 'select' meter. But the One Touch meters are no longer so easily available.
    Other meters are fine too, and there are certainly people in the UK and US using the Freestyle meters.

Years ago, there was a problem with using the Freestyle Lite in cats. The problem was that it didn't seem to register higher numbers. As I understand it, that problem seems to have resolved because people went back to using that meter and didn't seem to report any problems...

Edited to add: I've just done a search for 'Freestyle Lite' and there are a couple of references to it reading lower than other meters at high numbers. Even so, it still seems to be a fairly popular meter. And what matters most is how our meters measure low numbers...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.