? WHAT IF WE PUT ON THE OTHER PERSON´S SHOES FOR 5 MINUTES???

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Silvina, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silvina

Silvina Member

will test with patient on session in 15 minutes

2. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Do you have honey, Karo, maple syrup?

Apply generous amount into his gums now

3. Tanya and Ducia

if you have high carbs content food at home - do give him no more than 2 teaspoons of it now, record the time when he 's done eating it - you'll have to test 25 - 30 min afterwards

Silvina, Stacy & Asia and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Please retest again right away to make sure the reading is correct. If it is then please give some syrup or honey and retest in 10 minutes after

5. Tanya and Ducia

another test time, Silvina?

If it is only raw food available at home - add some honey or sugar syrup to it and make him eat it. Several drops of honey is OK - like 1/4 teaspoon at a time.

We are waiting to hear the latest BG read...

Silvina and saltycat like this.
  6. Tanya and Ducia

7. Toro & Ovi

Toro & Ovi Member

If he was mine, I'd give him HC food, watching him closely and test him every 15 min........
    If BG numbers stay flat or go up after 15 min. repeat the previous steps until he reaches reasonable numbers. If the BG numbers go down even further, you may want to try some maple syrup/honey......
    Of course that you always have the choice of maple syrup/homey from start if your Kitty seems to act awkward or if you are scared and you don't know the cat's reactions to low BG - that's your choice to make.

Strange dive - from 251 to 33 in 4 hours.........hope Markie's fine........

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Silvina likes this.
  8. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Have to go for awhile Please check in as soon as you can and let us know how Markies is doing,

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  9. Tanya and Ducia

well, that's what I hate the most - to hear nothing after the 911 call and to let my imagination ran amok and paint me vividly the worse case scenarios... I hope Markie is fine...

10. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

11. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

She updated her SS, he's 50 at +6.55?

Silvina likes this.
  12. Silvina

Silvina Member

oh dears I am now able to weite with patients waiting on the hall way. I gave whiskas pouch with little of protein to keep up the BG increase. Now he is 66. I gave whiskas with ckichek twice. I will test in 45 minutes again. Now patient entering. Will read you later.

JanetNJ likes this.
  13. Tanya and Ducia

Thank you for the update.

I have to log out for now.

Silvina likes this.
  14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm glad the number went up.

Keep testing every 15-20. We say it's safe when you have had three numbers raising or staying steady above 50 without the help of food.

Silvina likes this.
  15. Toro & Ovi

Toro & Ovi Member

66 is reasonable in my books. Good job.

Silvina likes this.
  16. JanetNJ

Any update

17. Silvina

Silvina Member

Dears, sorry for not answering!!! its so so weird to have this episode and assisting patients at the same time!!! I tested Markies with ons of my teenagers patient watching, she wanted to watch.

This is exactly what I did @Toro & Ovi , he was perfectly fine, walking ok, he was meowing looking for food. Last time he had low numbers (I think it was even a little higher than this one, he was tight, this time he was perfectly attentive, etc). So I gave him pouch which has sauce and little pieces of chicken. So that took him to 50.

I repeated this and it took the BG to 66.

I have to test now again.

I couldn´'t test though right away. That was impossible. Patients were with emotional crisis so I couldn´t say "stop crying I need to test Markies" (It was very stressful moment). But as soon as they left I asked the next patient to wait 5 minutes and test and so on.

Toro & Ovi likes this.
  18. Silvina

Silvina Member

Give me 5 and will test. I ve been updating the ss so you can see that at least but couldn´t even write here!!! So sorry..

19. Silvina

Silvina Member

46 at +8.5 (gave again pouch whiskas with little of raw chicken)

He looks fine thank good. No symptoms.

20. JanetNJ

Skip the chicken.... It's too low carb and you don't want him to fill up in case you need him to eat again.

Silvina likes this.
  21. Silvina

Silvina Member

Isn´t the chicken necessary to keep the GB up?

22. Silvina

Silvina Member

well that´s why I put the 911 again.. bg went down again and we still depend on food :(

23. JanetNJ

No just feed the higher carb food

24. JanetNJ

It's been about 25 min.... Can you get another test?

25. Silvina

Silvina Member

ok, I was with mom at the phone.
    Last meal was with higher carbs. Was a different type of whiskas pouch (whith sauce). Actually the other one also has sauce but this one says somethin like "With Sauce" (this is stupid). So this means that it has much more carbs and watching numbers it seems that carbs are higher.

We are at +9.5 and he is 166. I know He will bounce now.

I will go back to hiw 1.25 dose. I don´t feel confortable with doses that put him in risk, I don´t like low numbers at early hours in the cycle at least until I discover what is going on with Markies health.

Our life is messy, our schedule can change abruptly so having this surprises will have my heart in my throat (this is an Argentinian expression which means that will have me terrified).

Probably I should have increased a fat instead of 0.25 but how could have guessed this????

He was showing high numbers. And actually I was not feeling too well with an increase since some days ago he showed this early low numbers. So this erratic low numbers make our ss difficult to predict Markies BG behaviors.

Probably I guess the wiser thing to do is settle for a good ammount of time in 1.25 dose or even (lower the dose if early low numbers repeat) and keep settling.

Any thoughts?

26. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Silvina likes this.
  27. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

That is stressful! I'm so glad things turned out all right for you and Markies today. I'm not experienced enough to give dosing advice, but it does sound reasonable to be cautious to keep him safe.

Silvina and Stacy & Asia like this.
  28. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I think I would just stick with the 1.25 for a few days and see how he does.

Silvina likes this.
  29. Silvina

Silvina Member

Dear, what this means
    " Yes he needs an increase now, "

He comes from a 0.25 increase and I don´t feel at all confortable. I wasn´t confortable either with his previous 1.25 dose with those erratic lows. But I prefer to stay and settle in a safer number.
    However I need to understand you expression may be you are saying something different from what Im understanding. Today´s dose which cause this mess was 1.5.

Tonight I went back to his 1.25 dose. at AMPS he was 310 (so he didn´t bounce too much) then +2.5 (273) not bad so looks good so far. I don´t know if this is due to still having insuline from previous dose or what. Anyway, we are goo. Im heading to bed now.

THAK Y OU ALL DEARS!!!!!!! :bighug::):coffee::cat:

30. Silvina

Silvina Member

ME TOO!!!:)
    THANK YOU FOR TAKING TO MUCH TIME DEAR!!!

THIS IS VERY HELPFUL AND CONFORTING ANYWAY!! SO THANK YOU!!! :bighug:

31. Silvina

Silvina Member

THANK YOU TOO FOR BEING THERE!!!

JanetNJ likes this.
  32. Silvina

Silvina Member

THANK YOU DEAR!!

33. Silvina

Silvina Member

AWESOME YOU´VE BEEN ABLE TO FOLLOW THE SS!!! THANK Y OU!!

34. Silvina

Silvina Member

@Tanya and Ducia I understand what you say and it was also frustrating for me because I was having my cat with possible hypo and my patients (Im psychologist and patients were ringing the bell and I just couldnt say sorry, you cannot enter, my cat is having hypoglicemia, because actually he was not having symptoms just low numbers).

If you see my first tytle for you guys I put exactly what was going on. I put the number, and I put the situation. May be you can find the editions I did with the titles (I put that patients were entering or something like that but that I was going to update information).

That´s the best I could do. But I needed to feel safe that the group was there and at the same time I was updating the spread sheet. I was doing my best at least updatin the ss which was faster, between patient and patien with them waiting standing on the hallway.

But I understand your point and I appologize and I would feel exactly the same in your place.

35. Silvina

Silvina Member

And this is the APOLOGISE SECTION. I KNEW THAT I WAS POSTING AN SOS AND I WAS NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO READ AND ANSWER ASAP ALL MESSAGES BUT WAS HAVING THE INTENTION TO DO IT, AT LEAST I COULD READ SOME, COULD KEEP TESTING, KEEP COMPLETING SS AND THINGS ENDED SMOOTH.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  36. Silvina

Silvina Member

THOSE 15.20 MIN WERE IMPOSSIBLE TO TEST DURING SESSIONS WITH MY PATIENTS. I WANTED TO BUT WAS IMPOSSIBLE. HOPEFULLY CARBS WHERE HIGH ENOUGH AND TESTINGS IN 50 MINUTES APROX WERE ENOUGH.

37. Silvina

Silvina Member

I know many of you have that policy of retesting. I cant do that for thre main reasons.
    1. cant riskk time if he is close to hypo.
    2. cant waste stripes that are here extrenely expensive
    3. Markies have serious trouble with his ears that have been pockes for about three years and I need to consider starting to find other place to poke.

I don´t agree with this revission testing. All lows in his storry have been real. No way I can waste more money or stripes donations girls.
    Actually I am open to receive donations from any where from the whole globe of stripes!!! 8 stripes... today..
    8 stripes some days ago

Im under budget... i keep asking for donatios... Ok this is secondary now.. I just wanted to answer.

Good nights dear.

38. Silvina

Silvina Member

GOOD NIGHTS TO ALL.. IM SIMPLY EXHAUSTED. TOMORROW DOCTOR WITH MOM.
    TOMORROW HOPE I CAN GIVE MARKIES EARS A BREAK AND ONLY TEST AT AM AND PMPS AND NADIRS. JUST THAT.

GNIGHTS

39. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

40. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

You are doing the best you can, Silvina. You have a lot going on right now. Thank you for updating the spreadsheet between patients. That was helpful.
    I appreciate the regular postings to keep us updated on Markies so that we can help you with him. Here in the US we sometimes put a little teeny tiny bit of Neosporin ointment (or I used the cream) on our cat's ears after testing. Do you have anything like that in Argentina?

I hope your Mom's doctor's appointment goes well.

Silvina and Stacy & Asia like this.
  41. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Please don’t misunderstand what I am about to say. The purpose of the 911 is to get help if needed right away. If you are unable to post for two hours it’s useless to use 911. You know how to handle low numbers fortunately. I think 911 should be used only if you need advice and can read and answer. We are here for you.

42. Silvina

Silvina Member

I was able to read but not answering...

I don´t agree with you... and i think you need to be in MY SHOES JUST FOR 5 MINUTES

you need a sumarize

here it goes

MY FATHER DIED IN DECEMBER
    MY MOTHER IS DYING NOW
    IM TAKING CARE OF MY MOTHER AND IS DIFFICULT TO HANDLE MARKIES TREATMENT BECAUSE I HAVE TO STAY OVER MY MOMS HOUSE WHICH MEANS THAT O I HAVE TO TAKE MARKIES WITH ME (WHICH I DID AND WAS A DISASTER OF STRESS) OR LET HIM WITHOUT INSULINE OR GIVE LESS DOSE

HIS BG IS UP AND DOWN AND HAS PLENTY OF HEALTH ISSUES

NOT MONEY ENOUGH TO COVER HIS TREATMENT (FOR STRIPES) SO I HAVE TO ASK FOR DONATIONS ALL THE TIME (WHILE i TOOK CARE OF DAD FOR A WHOLE YEAR I COULDT WORK AND NOW FOR MOM I WORK PARTIALLY)

WHEN I ASSIST PATIENTS AND I HAVE A LOW NUMBER LIKE 33 I STILL NEED HELP FROM THE FORUM... AND I DESPITE I KNOW IS A SUPER S H I T TO NOT BE ABLE TO BE IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER BECAUSE IM IN FRONT OF A PERSON CRYING WHILE MY HEART IS IN MY MOUTH THINKING THAT MY CAT MAY BE DYING BEHIND THE COURTAIN...

AND BY THE WAY, I WAS TESTING AND UPDATING M Y SPREAD SHEET WHICH YOU WAS NOT CHECKING!

WELL....

YOU NEED TO PUT ON MY SHOES.... FOR 5 MINUTES!!!

PS; NOW I COME TODAY, WITH A NEW CANCER DIAGNOSIS OF MOM... THIROID CANCER PLUS HER LIVER CANCER... AND THEN I SIT IN MY COMPUTER JUST TO READ THIS.....

I BETTER SHUT UP

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  43. Silvina

Silvina Member

Thank you but nex time I dont need your help in my threads @tiffmaxee

44. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

@Silvina I was in your shoes the whole time I was dealing with Max. I will ignore your posts.

45. Silvina

Silvina Member

NO PLEASE READ IT .. NO NEED TO... YOU NEED TO AND YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE STORY AND THEN WRITE...

AND MAY BE THINK BEFORE WRITTING

46. Silvina

Silvina Member

AND YOU START SAYING "YOU DON´T MISSUNDERSTADN" PREPARING THE FIELD FOR WHAT YOU KNOW THAT WAS GOING TO BE A BOMB.. YOU ARE BEING SIMPLY PASSIVE AGGRESIVE... THATS IT... MAKE YOURSELF ACCOUNTABLE OF YOUR WORDS AND THAT YOU ARE NOT AT ALL BEING CONSIDERATE...

YOU ARE BOSSY AND NOT UNDERSTANDING ANY OF WHAT I JUST WROTE. SO PLEASE BLOCK ME... AND PLESE DONT EVER WRITE TO ME AGAIN.

47. JanetNJ

All any of us can do is the best we can do. Right now you are just in survival mode. Most of us totally get that. Please don't be discouraged from reaching out for diabetes help when you need it.

Silvina likes this.
  48. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you have so much to deal with right now in addition to Markie's diabetes. People here are available to help in any way we can whenever you need it. Sometimes the communication can be misunderstood or incomplete because of the medium we're using. We all understand that. :bighug:

Silvina likes this.
  49. Silvina

Silvina Member

thank you dear

50. Silvina

Silvina Member

that´s exactly how I feel and some time I feel Im now gonna make it... but I need to make it for them they need me... I need to be strong.. thank you dear.

51. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with so much right now. I can't imagine how stressful that is for you. Please know we are here for you if we can help. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

52. Toro & Ovi

Toro & Ovi Member

You did great.
    Your advantage is that now you know your kitty is fine with low BG numbers and that the food only does the trick of reversing the downwards trend. You are well prepared for next time. :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Silvina likes this.
  53. Photorecon

Photorecon Well-Known Member

Quick trick :
    If your cat has low SL in a random basis keep some ''temptation'' on hands. These can be found
    anywhere, are deadly for GL and most cats will jump on them. I turned Small Kitty diabetic with
    these before I knew it even existed (feline diabetes).

upload_2017-11-10_10-42-26.jpeg
    For dosing, if your SS is up to date, I don't see anything scary. Your 1.25 is doing great. Numbers of
    the past are not those of the day, pancreas is changing mood on a bi-daily basis or so.

Keep on, should be fine.

Silvina likes this.
  54. Silvina

Silvina Member

:):bighug:

55. Silvina

Silvina Member

Sorry dear Im in Argentina we don´t have that!! But I can see if I can purchase it online. But first I need a little help with your English. Could you please tell me again what this paragraph means not using those acronyms??? lol.... SORRY. I lived in the States and you use lots of acronyms but I don´t understand them. Sorry sorry sorry!! What are day for?

Then, whatch please today pmps cycle.. he is starting low... Im scared to shoot.

Quick trick :
    If your cat has low SL in a random basis keep some ''temptation'' on hands. These can be found
    anywhere, are deadly for GL and most cats will jump on them. I turned Small Kitty diabetic with
    these before I knew it even existed (feline diabetes). ;):bighug::nailbiting:

56. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure, but I thought his SL meant sugar level and his GL meant glucose level.
    If you are home and able to test, have supplies, and he is/will be willing to eat, I think you are fine to shoot his new regular dose of 1.25. It looks like he's heading up slowly. I would start with a +2 or a +3 test in this cycle. It looks like he already had a nice meal, so he should be headed up more now.

Photorecon and Silvina like this.
  57. Silvina

Silvina Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.