? What if you miss a dose? late PMPS was 272 at +14 it is now +16.5 at 0544 EST USA

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Supurrkitten, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supurrkitten

Supurrkitten Member

previous post:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...decreased-dose-from-2-to-1-last-night.178027/

So what happens if I missed a dose? I feel horrible. I over slept. Since Ferg's dose got scooted back yesterday, it was so much later for me. I THOUGHT I set my phone alarm. I am so upset. Fergus was 272 at 0340, a little over 2 hours past when he was supposed to get his shot. When I got up. I had to find him and then test him. I tried to get him to eat but he is not interested. I need to try another food. Now it is 4 hours post shot.

Do I skip it? I am resigned to starting over especially since his doses have been kinda all over the place the past few days.

If I skip can I get him started back at +7.5? ill that mess him up a lot? I am committed to sticking with the dose and time I start him at again. It has been hectic here and I guess it caught up with me getting no sleep for a few days. The next week is not going to be much better, but I am going to have to enlist my DH to get more involved. He did wake me at 1130 since that was Fer's time before he was low the other night. I told DH that i had an alarm set and went to sleep. i barely remember that conversation.

Fergus is up and about. Seems normal if not a bit weak like he has been since this started. Only thing is not wanting to eat as much and it appears he may be nauseous but has some occasional lip smacking? You know, when you have a bad taste in your mouth or too much saliva and you kinda lick and swallow.

UGHH... Advice?

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Since you missed the shot, that +7.5 is actually +19.5 from the last insulin. Did you test at +19.5? I see you are in EST. Would shooting regularly at 6:30am and 6:30pm work for your schedule?
    You probably already know this, but Lantus works best with consistent dose amounts and every 12 hours. Sometimes life gets in the way and shots are missed or fur shots happen, but I see from your spreadsheet that his dose amounts have been changed a lot recently. Were you planning to stick with the 1.5 units for a few days and see how that dose works for him? If so, after a missed shot, the depot has drained and it take a few days for the depot to build up to that dose, so be patient.

3. Supurrkitten

Supurrkitten Member

I have not shot or tested again since the +14 I listed as PMPS on the SS with a comment.

6 and 6 work ok. I work nights and 12 hour shifts. DH helps out. 10 & 10 is what we started at and got scooted with late shots. With school ending soon I think I can keep him 9/10 & 9/10. I don't always get home in time to test feed shoot right at 9, but 75% I do. It would likely be a 915 time each day.

I got him to eat. I want to stick to 1.5. My vet said to do 2. We did for a cycle and he dropped. That is why I scooted to 1.5. I think 1.5 will be a good spot till I need to curve. The vet said 2 weeks and with his shots times and doses being everywhere, I think 2 weeks would be good for him as long as he doesn't drop. I think it could give his body s chance to regulate to that rise and establish a foundation I can go from.

So shooting at 9 will be ok?

Thank you for responding.

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Yes. Test first, of course. He may be pretty high because of the skipped shot. Don't give extra because he's high, just give the same 1.5. Try to get any mid-cycle tests that you or your DH can.

Supurrkitten likes this.
  5. Supurrkitten

Supurrkitten Member

@Dyana I did a AMPS (Sorta, but ya know) at 0850; his BS was 219. I gave the 1.5 Units after offering food. He ate a little. I will keep him in the back of the house with his food and little and a bit of room to roam away form the other cat who could eat his food. Hopefully I will be home by 1pm. I will retest then @ +4.

Thanks for the advice. I hope you have a good day!

Dyana and tiffmaxee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.