What is best food for Pancreatitis/Diabetic cats?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gwen and Morris, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Now that we have survived Morris' first p~itis flare & he is eating well, it is time for me to re-evaluate what foods I am feeding him. I understand that for p~itis kitties, we want to feed foods that are lower in fat which some times means going to foods with higher carbs. For this reason, now that he has eaten the last EVO we had on hand, I will stop buying that brand as it is quite high in fat. But, when I went back to Janets lists, I was surprised to realize that the Friskies I am feeding him is not much better in the fat department!

Up until now, Morris' regular foods have been:
    Friskies Chef Dinner 65% kcals from fat, 2% carbs
    Friskies Chicken Dinner 63% kcals from fat, 3% carbs
    Fancy Feast Turkey & Giblets Feast 58% kcals from fat, 3% carbs

At least the Fancy Feast is a bit lower in the fat department! Looking at Janets list & finding out what is available where I live (I am in Canada), I have come up with the other possibilities for food choices:
    Merrick Cowboy Cookout 42% kcals from fat, 5% carbs
    Merrick Southern Delight 55% kcals from fat, 4% carbs
    Merrick Surf N Turf 47% kcals from fat, 3% carbs
    Whiskas Chicken Dinner 53% kcals from fat, 4% carbs
    Whiskas Chicken & Tuna Dinner 53% kcals from fat, 4% carbs

(I know not to feed the fish flavors too often.)

What do others feed their p~itis/diabetic furry friends??

2. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

A low fat diet is not usually recommended for cats w/ chronic pancreatitis. ( ref: Marks and Zoran-- se links to papers down a bit in jojo's thread.)

http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/read.php?8,876722

ECID ! Some on this board have found it to help their cats, and as jojo says in her post it is best to experiment to see what works for an individual cat. I experimented with 2 CP kitties' diets and they did not have any benefit of a lower fat diet.

To note, it has often been discussed on this board that canned commercial cat foods are higher in fat then optimal. Cheri and Louis put together a very nice list of moderate fat, low carb cat foods that have worked well for many p-titis kitties, as well *regular* diabetic kitties.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... sg-1179876

Juggling different health issues here, I have found Merricks to be a good fit for my kitties.
    Wolfie particularly likes Turducken, while Winnie was a Grammy's only gal.

3. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Thanks for the links Cheryl! I guess I mispoke....I am looking for foods which are lower in fat than what I have been feeding. In jojo's information, it talks about trying to limit fat to under 30%.....I haven't been able to find food with that low of a fat content! It also talks about blancing fat content & carb number.....usually, the lower fat brands have higher carb contents.

I did find both of those flavors locally. However, I was hopeful to also try the Cowboy Cookout & Southern Delight varieties which were not available at the store I was at. The problem with Turducken & Grammy's is that they have carbs at 8/9 and I was hoping to keep the carbs a bit lower than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.