? What is considered a large drop

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan G & Jimmy G, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

I know there is no such thing as normal - but as far as ranges what is considered an average drop vs a large drop? I'm still trying to pin point Jimmy's nadir. I've been able to gather the insulin starts to take effect well into +3 but it seems his nadir moves around a bit and is later in the cycle.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Only way I can think to explain is average drops are gentle, large drops are maybe over 100 points in like an hour or two.
    Someone else might clarify better than me *~_^

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree with Yong's description of a large drop.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

It depends on the insulin. On Lantus, the cycle is supposed to be flatter, while with Vetsulin or Prozinc, the cycles are more U shaped. So a large drop on Lantus might be a small drop on Vetsulin. With Prozinc I tend to think of it in percent more than points: So around a 50% drop is a good cycle. Less than that is a little too flat, while too much more than that may cause bouncing. If your pre-shot is 400 and you drop 50% you'd get into the low 200's which is a 200 point drop. Whereas if your pre-shot was only 180, you certainly wouldn't want to see a 200 point drop!!! But a 50% drop would get you to 90 which is a great mid-cycle number.

Hopefully one of the experienced people with Lantus can give you more insulin-specific information on what to expect/aim for with your insulin since I haven't used Lantus, but I think it's supposed to be a flatter cycle.

For many cats, the nadir does move around which can make monitoring a little tricky. As they get more regulated, the nadir also tends to become more consistent - at least within an hour or so of an expected point in the cycle. Also, while there is a "typical" nadir for each insulin, we also have seen that cats can vary quite a bit from one another with some cats hitting nadir consistently early, and others hitting it late. As you gather more and more data, you can get a pretty good sense of what is typical for your cat - and then once you figure that out, he'll likely change it on you ;)

5. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Ok thank you. Just trying to figure out what may constitute an active cycle based on his +3 numbers.

6. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

I found time and again that the +2 gives more accurate prediction as to the cycle nature. With my cat the +3 is way too often when she drops by a lot - 200 points on one day and around 100 regularly - you can see it in her SS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.