What is normal after insulin injection?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LuAnn, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuAnn

LuAnn Member

Is it normal for your cat's BGLs to go up after the injection? Yesterday morning before the insulin Cookie's BGL was 374, 3 hrs after it was up to 415. By 6 hrs after it was down to 173, at 12 hrs it was back up 375. This morning it was 309 before insulin and 4 hrs later it was up to 385. I will send in numbers to the vet to ask about increasing the amount of insulin. We started her out on 1 unit on the 19th of this month.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

That is due to the onset of the insulin not being immediate. It is a few hours after the shot before it begins, so they can rise a bit during that time. It would be helpful if you could get a spreadsheet started: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

There are sticky posts at the top of the Lantus forum that you may find helpful. That is also the best forum for you to post on if/when you have insulin-specific questions like those related to dosing. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/

LuAnn likes this.
  3. JeanW

JeanW Member

Part of the reason it goes up is because they just ate which makes BG levels go up and as @FurBabiesMama said the onset of the insulin is not immediate. Are you feeding every 12 hours or free feeding?

The spreadsheet will help you track these things. Do you know if you're following the Start Low and Go Slow protocol or the Tight Regulation protocol?

You may want to stay at 1 unit for just a bit longer if you just started insulin 3 days ago on the 19th.

LuAnn likes this.
  4. LuAnn

LuAnn Member

Thank you, I am feeding twice a day and yes I am the Start Low, Go slow protocol. it is just the first couple days the numbers dropped down within the first 2 to 3 hrs after insulin. From 399 to 207 within 2hrs the first day and 433 to 216 within 3 hrs the second day.

5. LuAnn

LuAnn Member

thank you too, I am having a bit of a time with the spread sheet and getting it to load and work. and I will post in the insulin forum next time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.