What is Petsulin??? Need info please

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kays8cats, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hi,

Elmo is currently on Prozinc BH 3.2 units twice daily . See spreadsheet and info. He is running out of this insulin and my friend has offered me Petsulin??

I am not too happy with the prozinc and it is very expensive 90 plus dollars a bottle, I was considering switching is this Petsulin a good choice??

Or what should I do? I am afraid of lantus, is compounded that bad?

Thanks so much.

Kay & Elmo

p.s. still testing him just hav enot updated his spreadsheet, thanks

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

I wouldn't particularly recommend Vetsulin - it's shorter acting than PZI. I doubt you'll find the compounded PZIs much different than ProZinc, I think they are all fairly similar.

If I were you I would probably start a new thread here asking for eyes on his SS, plus start a thread in the Lantus & Lev forums asking if switching to one of those would be recommended.

I don't have any ideas beyond keeping raising the PZI dose, but I can see how that would be frustrating!!!! I'm assuming you are using LC canned food & have ruled out problems like infection - those could lead to #s that don't move much.

My only other thought is insulin resistance, and I don't know enough about that to give you suggestions. I know there is a blood test, but I don't know how you determine when it's warranted or not. I don't think the doses are high enough to suggest Acro, plus you have gotten some good results here & there, but again I don't know much about it...

4. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Thanks,

I did not think there was a petsulin, I am pretty sure it vetsulin. She told me her moms car was on it and vet switched insulins, she did not know why but it was not recalled....not so sure she knows so..

I am going to go back to the compounded insulin for now, I ordered BH PZI but the vets office ordered me the compounded by accident.......ugh.

I have 9 rescue cats and $$ is always an issue so..And I am not really seeing any impressive results with the BOH prozinc that cost 90$.

I admit that I have not been keeping the best rack of BG's, have had home and ongoing health issues myself but I am trying.

Elmo keeps getting into dry food but have a handle on that now so that is probably what is holding him back from getting good numbers.

again, i have to update his ss, my apologies.

I also adopted a cat Penny she is 8 years old, her owner was raped and murdered , 75 years old. What a horrible disgusting crime!!! This lady had 6 cats and she lived in Akron Ohio. I had to help and take one. :(..she is adjusting well.

5. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

oh and he eats only friskies low carb canned food and freeze dried treats.

Had gum infection and was on 2 course of antibiotics and seems fine now.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Good for you taking in the new kitty!!!! That is horrible what happened. :(

7. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Ok jt got the insulin and it is Vetsulin so needless to say I am not going to use it.

I am going to tell my friend and give her a copy of the recall info.

She was just trying to be nice and give me insulin so can't blame her.

VERY GLAD I asked :)

So its compounded prozinc from Wedgewood pharmacy for now.

Thanks as always.

Kay

8. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to be the guy who jumps on wrong terminology but if it is compounded from Wedgewood it is NOT "ProZinc" though it may be a flavor of PZI. I only mention this because there has been confusion in the past and just trying to head the horse off at the pass since things get amplified with the natural "echo effect" that can happen sometimes. Unless it comes in the blue and green bottle it is NOT ProZinc.

Sorry as I'm not trying to pick on you but this has happened many times in the past and need to be very clear. I'm not sure how this keeps happening. It is potentially dangerous too because the EDIT: potential concentration difference between a compounded insulin and ProZinc can cause major problems if they are confused.

9. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

yes Please use the right syringes. I got the Wedgewood PZI when I switched off vetsulin and the vet (over the phone after I had it home) said that it was u40, but it was u100 ( I still have the vial). At the time I didn't know the difference, so the "2 units" we started on was really 5 units! and we progressed rapidly up from there! Luckily Cody is an acrocat and he actually liked the doses! They use to send a free 5ml vial to the vet as a trial- you should ask.

And if that vetsulin is opened- toss it, it barely lasted 3 weeks for us.

if it is sealed there is a mom who really wants it desperately. Elise and pony, i'm sure she would buy it from you.

10. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Thanks I usnderstand about the compunded insulin, you have mentioned it many tiems in the past thanks, I just paw prozinc cause its a form of it thats all.

And now I am back to U100 thanks also. I have a bunch of u40 but would much rather have u100 so I will have to get them.

We wer on PRozinc by BI but at 90 buck a bottle.....cant afford it at this moment.

the vetsulin I have is open but just about full so...

thanks again

Kay

11. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

hey Kay,

This is the post from the lady that was desperate for vetsulin- Would you mind if I send her a PM with a link to this post. Maybe she could contact you if she still is having trouble acquiring it. Do you know how long ago it was opened?

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18708

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.