what is the proper way to feed?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by George&Bert, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

I used to have another guy on insulin, but it was PZI. I used feed to compliment the injections and the sequence I sued wrked to keep him more even and the numbers lower.

Now..assume...That he can graze at will on 6% EVO dry because of all the other cats need to eat.

No doubt he prefers wet..and so dot he other guys and gals.

Now..lets assume...That I can keep pumping wet food to him ( I can put him in a large dog crate when he eats )

What times and how much wet can/should I give him? He gets his injections at 8:00 am and 8:00 pm

He is four years old and has lost a lot of weight. he is about 11 pounds.

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

You can use an auto feeder for him, spread out the foods, his daily total intake, into portions.
    Petsafe 5-meal Auto Feeder

If you are going to just free feed, then it does not much matter what you put in the crate for him.
    Just put half his daily amount in the crate with him then you can split up the other half in the evening as you wish. I would say 4 mini meals and 3 snacks. No dry.

3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

hi george - some cats on lantus do fine grazing throughout the day. if that dry is 6% carbs then i would think he could eat it as well. i am unsure if 6% dry is comparable to 6% canned food carbs. 6% canned is ok. you have to have cats on canned low carb to follow the TR protocol, but i know you're not planning on doing TR.

if you want to switch him to the canned, i'd probably aim to get 1/2 of his daily food available to him in the first 3 hours after the shot. we feed punkin about 1.5oz low carb canned, shoot while punkin's face is in the bowl, then give him another 3 oz spread out over the following 3 hours. that puts most of the carbs there while the insulin is at its strongest. repeat in the evening.

there's not just one way to do it - some people let their cats graze and they seem to be fine. some people say their cats seem to get nauseous at dinner if they haven't had a little bit around +9. it's one of those "trial and error" things to see what works for bert.

4. George&Bert

George&Bert Member

Here is what I do now..advise how I may adjust it please..

I leave out 6% carb EVO dry all the time and for everyone.

Immediately before shooting I give Andre and everyone plates of low carb cans of Wellness and EVO @ 4% and 0% I smush them together and add 30% water.
    When they are all done eating I give him a little more so I can shoot him. That all happens in fifteen minutes.

Two hours later I give him more canned in his crate so he can eat in peace.

Five hours after that ( seven hours after shot) I give him and others a snack of EVO canned "0" %

The next wet food comes with the evening shot as the day and so on.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

George --

How you're feeding sounds fine. Lantus onset begins roughly 2 hours after you shoot. There's not as much of an issue about making sure your cat eats prior to shooting (unless the rest of your herd muscles Andre away from his bowl). Many of us feed several small meals but the timing of those meals is largely a trial and error decision. The only general "rule" is to try to not feed 2 hours before shot time and you may not want to give food after nadir.

6. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Hi George&Brent!

I think you are doing great with your transition! I am still new in here, let the experienced ones give you more insight on the feeding & schedule.

I'd like to share with you my experience on the transition for my gang of 21.
    My cats were having free feeding on different types of dry food plus breakfast of canned food everyday. Most of them are dry food addicts. When Rosy was found diabetic in Dec because she lost a bit of weight, she was put on Lantus by my vet who opposed to hometesting & recommended to offer all she can eat. Her condition became so bad that she could hardly walk with a month. She was on 3u Lantus x 2 times a day. I found the forum & started my change in her diet & feeding schedule.
    From March 1st, she was put on pure canned food (we dont have that many LC food in HK), fed 3 meal a day with steamed chicken for dinner. Her condition improved a lot, although her bg is still jumpy she is not hungry all the time. Her dosage reduced to 1.5u BID and I am still in the stage of adjusting the correct dosage. I am so happy to have the support from all the good people here.

As for the rest of my 20cats, aged 13-5. Ive started the transition for them too. They are fed canned food according to Rosy's schedule. Yes, there is resistant from the dry food addicts. I fed them LC dry after feeding the canned. Tried to coax them to try & taste the canned. It is difficult but I can see that they are having a bit when very hungry. There is no more free fed on any dry anymore.

As for the hometesting, same here, testing Rosy with everybody running around is difficult because she got distracted. We live in a very small open space for all. Everytime I need to test, I set up meter, cotton wool, btl of treat in a corner with a nice bedding . When all's ready, I'll take Rosy there, let her settle down, talk to her. Slowly the other cats will know its Rosy's corner & Rosy's time. They are very smart.
    Hope your home testing will progress slowly with Brent. Have the patience & give the both of you the time to get use to the ritual.

helen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.