? What is your cats feeding schedule?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda & Shmee, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

My Shmee has been on Lantus for about two weeks, and since his Dx I have transitioned him to wet food (FF classics and chunkys).

I want to eventually start the tight regulation method (hoping by next week). I saw on both the TR and SLGS method forums that we should be feeding multiple small meals a day. Right now I do three smaller meals: one before AM shot @ 9am, one around 3pm, and one before PM shot @9pm.

Curious what others food schedules look like?

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  2. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

till mine put his weight back on, i fed him every 2hrs or so and left low carb dry food out for him to graze on mostly overnight. my cats have always been grazers, they eat very little at one time so now (except for this temporarily food issue week) i free-feed wet food only by putting it out between 9:30-10am and change bowls to fresh food at 4pm and than 9:30pm. he gets a tbsp of low carb dry as a treat around 5-6pm as well.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  3. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I feed mine at 5am, 2:30 a snack, 5pm and snack before bed

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The AAHA Diabetes Management Guidelines (link in my signature) say that feeding four times a day is ideal. That is what I do. I leave any leftovers out for them to graze on until the next meal or until 2 hours prior to Mia's pre-shot glucose test.

Amanda & Shmee and Bellasmom like this.
  5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Basically what I do

6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

My gal is feed pretty much every 3 hrs. She did need to gain weight and probably could still use another pound on her.

7. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone!

Sylvie, what low carb dry food do you use? I have seen that Young Again is a good option if I remember correctly?

8. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

at that time i used youg again zero for about a month and than used it mixed with Evo turkey at 50% for about 4 months, YA alone made all my cats get diarrhea on and off, even at 50% my tortoise cats still had some issues. We used wysong espigen 90 which didn't up my cats numbers and all cats really like it but, they got green loose poops from it so we now use dr. elsey cleanprotein and no one got the poops from it this last week when we up their dry food. would recommend dr. elsey's but, it does seem to keep my cats numbers a tad bit higher. YA zero formula would be best with your cats numbers still on higher side, just slowlllly transistion him to it to avoid the poop issues a few of us have dealt with.

9. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

My Booger used to get fed twice a day until he was diagnosed. He has always been a grazer as well. I have to feed him in the bathroom so that my other cats wont eat his food. He will tell me several times a say that he wants to go in there to eat so I let him. He eats just a little bit and then lays down and just chills. I am now feeding him FF at meal time and leaving the DM dry food out for him to snack on. (Got to get rid of it some how).

10. Nicki & Marcus

Nicki & Marcus Member

My Marcus is eating 3 times a day--once in the early morning, once when we get home from work at about 5, and a snack before bed. I have 2 other cats, and they are now on that same schedule. We are doing all Fancy Feast classics and some Friskies pate. We took away the dry food, but our cats don't seem to miss it. They have always done a combination of both before the diagnosis.

I will say that Marcus never lost any weight--I guess I figured it out very early. He has been an even 19 pounds for several years, so we aren't worried about having him put weight on. He's a great eater.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.