What kind of harness should I buy for Champ?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Patty & Champ, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

I want to get a harness and leash for Champ so I can take him outside to see the world once again. He's almost 12 years old and hasn't been outside since he was about 1. He always tries to make a break for it when the door is left open a bit too long so maybe he'll let me try the harness. I tried it years and years ago and he fought like I was trying to kill him, but he's older and slower now so maybe it will work this time. :lol:

I don't know what kind of harness to get. Is the H-style better or the figure-8 style? I want to make sure he can't get out of it, but also want him to be very comfortable so he won't fight it. Let me know you opinions!!

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Ginger's harness is one of those where there is a strap around her waist and a strap around her neck, with only one connecting piece (of about 2 inches) between the two straps that is supposed to ride between the shoulder blades, but because there is no other connecting pieces the whole thing tends to go sideways on her, and the D ring where you connect the leash is then on the side as well.

I really prefer the ones like J.D. has where there is a connecting piece on the top and the bottom (one lays between his shoulder blades and one slightly longer one goes between his front legs and lies lengthwise along the bottom of his ribcage).

You want to adjust both round straps so they're snug, and if he connecting pieces adjust too, that's even better.

I let them wear it in the house for a half hour or longer for a few days to get them used to the feel of it.

When going outside, I find bringing treats with me is a good idea. If they don't come when you're at the end of the leash, squat down and call them and offer a treat. If they don't come, try walking a couple steps closer and repeat. Eventually, they'll understand that you have treats and if they walk towards you, they get one.

Good luck.

3. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

I agree, harnesses with two connecting straps work very well, plus they are adjustable at both the neck and chest. Here's Donny:

[youtube]IkL0FkkAPqE[/youtube]

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

How about a walking jacket? Those are a bit more secure than a regular H-style or figure 8 style harness, IMO. Here's one: http://www.kittyholster.com/index.html

I believe Deanie (and Boo GA) has used walking jackets to take one of her cats outside for walks. You can PM her for more info.

5. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Patty.....Checkers has the vest harness from kittyholster. I love it, because it's escape proof for Checkers.
    Not only does he not mind it, he get all excited when he sees me holding it, know he gets to go out.

6. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I have no harness suggestions, but it's great to see you, Patty! How's Champ? We'll need pics of him in his new harness/vest/jacket!!

7. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I love the idea of the kitty holster, but I think I'll go to a local pet shop and see what they have so I don't have to order something. One of these days soon, I'll get off my butt and post a condo for Champ....and update his SS. Yikes!!! I just looked at his SS and I'm a month behind in updating!!! Think I'll go get his meter and start inputting some data!

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

If you're a month behind, then please get those numbers out of the meter before they're deleted. I know most will give you a 30 day average, but I don't know how much longer they will hold the numbers in memory.

Oh by the way, I had to take J.D. to the pet store, and we had to go to the doggy Big Boy section, to try on some harnesses, as the one-size-fits-all for cats, just didn't fit him. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.