What level to skip a dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda Whitehead, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda Whitehead

Amanda Whitehead Member

Hi all
    Just wondered if anyone could tell me what level to skip a dose at. I'm guessing under 200 but I just wanted to be sure. I use a pet meter.

Thanks all

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi, for the AlphaTrak, it is 250, BUT when you have enough data and feel comfortable enough making the call, you may find that you can shoot at lower numbers.

By the way, you are using the human meter spreadsheet rather than the pet meter one. Just be aware the ranges/color coding is a little different. For example, instead of <50 for the bright green, the pet meter one has <68. (AlphaTrak documentation actually says hypo range starts at 65.) The pet meter reads more accurately and higher.

Amanda Whitehead likes this.
  3. Amanda Whitehead

Amanda Whitehead Member

Thank you. I did wonder if it was 200 or 250 I have given him insulin at 256 and it is a little risky for hypo at nadir time. I will make sure the vet skips at 250 and below too. I hadn't noticed I was using the wrong chart thanks for letting me know, silly me. Luckily I already knew 65 was hypo so I keep an eye open for it.

4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I use Alphatrak. Leo's no-dose number is 200. If he does not go above 200 at dose time, then no-dose. I test 1 hour after normal dose. That is the cutover period. If he does achieve over 200 then he gets a dose.

Also I dose less at night because he eats a lot less.
    4.5 AM dose
    2.5 - 3.0 PM dose

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Under 200 in the beginning. Later you can dose under that when you have enough data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.