What my vet said about my data....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FranklinsMom, Aug 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Hey everyone. I'm doing my first curve today. I had talked to the vet on Monday and was due to report back to her today. I printed out my spreadsheet of my data and dropped it off at my vet's office this morning, which included the food I have been feeding him. I also gave her a weight log I have for Franklin and his sister.

I called back after I got the +6.25 80 to have the receptionist update the data I dropped off this morning.

The vet just called back and said what I dropped off was awesome and more than what they were expecting! I told her I had found this site and that you all have this spreadsheet template. She said there was great improvement since changing his diet with more protein. (Which I also learned from you all!) We are sticking with no more insulin for now. I'm going to continue the curve the rest of the day but for now, I will go back to testing him every 12 hours, just in case.

Whenever I have something like this come up in my life, I get obsessive about doing research and I am so very, very glad to have found this community. In just a matter of three weeks from diagnosis, because of you all and Dr. Lisa and her chart, I no longer have to give my cat insulin.

And Franklin says thank you because he is very much enjoying all the canned food!

:cat::cool::D:joyful:

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is wonderful! :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Congratulations! I wish things had gone that way for Mia and me.

4. Beenie (GA)

Beenie (GA) Well-Known Member

cat dancing.jpg Fantastic News!!

FranklinsMom likes this.
  5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Great news! :joyful:

6. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

I think I have read sometimes it can take six months maybe to get a cat in remission? So maybe it will still happen for Mia. I was reading through your SS and saw that you are feeding them Sheba that they are being picky about. Franklin completely rejected the beef pate of Sheba but inhales the roasted turkey. Don't know if that helps. I will hope for lower levels for Mia.

7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

After the many, many wet foods I went through, I was thrilled when they loved the Chicken Sheba. It was a good run, but the last couple of days, they are not interested in it. I think they get bored with wet foods which is very odd since they were perfectly happy eating the same dry food for YEARS. I had tried Purely FF previously, and they would not touch it. I had some on hand and tried it when they did not want Sheba, and they seemed to like it. Little divas. :cool: (We cannot do turkey because Willow is allergic.)

8. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Well, I found out that Franklin might have some allergy to beef as he rejected both Sheba and Fancy Feast beef. He is happy with the FF Pates--Chicken Feast, Turkey & Giblets, Chicken & Liver, Savory Salmon. I am lucky but I'm also only about a week and a half or two into all this. Maybe next week, they will want something else.

9. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

That's wonderful, congratulations!:):cat::)

10. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

It's wonderful your vet reacted that way...bravo on a job well done! I believe my vet finds me a little obsessive about it and all I gave her was typed out curve results plus one day I went down a bit to stop his bouncing and that was only 3 readings that day! She's told me more than once to "stop poking him so much". I just don't understand it. I am the one responsible for his health and happiness and vet bills I might add, so now that he is considered regulated, I'm going to do what I think is best... I'll take a break on days I'm running around crazy from work (3 days a week) and test pre-shot and midday on the other 4 days. I think it's a good compromise and gives Mom a break while still keeping him safe. Of course if I see any trend beginning, I'm back to testing as much as possible, especially when I switch over to the human meter.
    So happy for you!

AlphaCat likes this.
  11. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

She told me on Monday to report back on Friday and I mentioned I had a spreadsheet and did she just want me to email a link. She said no, I could just call in the numbers. She is the one who wanted me home testing so I am glad she had me do that. But I just felt like it was a lot easier to see stuff if you had a print out. I copied it over to Excel and adjusted the size of some columns so all the numbers fit on one page and then the Remarks column was on another page. After I printed them out, I taped the numbers page to the Remarks page, kind of like a book so she just had to unfold it to see the whole worksheet. I had my weight log on a separate page and also have a food diary on a separate worksheet. I think she may think I don't need to be testing him now, unless some symptoms show up. She did say I should go ahead and finish the curve since I started it. I told her I will keep testing twice a day after that. If something does change, I want to be on top of it.

Franklin has gotten used to the testing now. When we go in the kitchen, he lays down on his mat. He knows a poke is coming but he also knows his favorite thing is coming afterward, food!

AlphaCat likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I would keep up daily testing for a little while yet. We consider a cat to be in remission when they go 2 weeks or 14 days without insulin and still in good numbers. Day 5 and looking good. :D

AlphaCat and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  13. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Yes I am planning on testing twice a day. Could not be here without everyone who has contribute to these condos and this web site.

AlphaCat likes this.
  14. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Great news! :cat: Please share with us the 14 day mark :D

15. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

I will. From reading about experiences on here, I know this could change at any time. Thanks.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  16. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

How wonderful Franklin's mom!!!
    It's so nice when you have a good vet on board!
    My first wasn't, but my second is totally on board!
    She giggles when we look at the spreadsheet, but it's one of those impressed, I can't believe you do this giggles. She's on top of it, and I feel I can trust her, and that is priceless!

Remission is a beautiful thing! Keep it up Franklin!!!

FranklinsMom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.