What the heck?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenna and Widget, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenna and Widget

Jenna and Widget New Member

So this morning, I tested Widgets blood before she ate (6 am) and it was 287. She gets her insulin at 10:30. I tested her blood again at 11:30 and it was 576. So I thought, whoa, that can't be, so I got another strip out and re tested. It read 401. So I thought, hmm, one more time just to see. So with her ear still beading up blood, I tested again. It read 607. Thoughts?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. First, I am confused - you feed her at 6am, but she does not get her shot until 10:30am? Does she get more food at shot time? She should be fed at shot time.

There is a variance of a few percent with any meter, but I have never tested twice with my AlphaTrak and gotten numbers as far apart as 401 and 607. I always get a fresh blood drop to test, so I do not know if the fact that the blood bead sat there between the two tests matter or not. Do you have control solution? If in doubt, you can do a control solution test to make sure the strips return a value within the expected range.

3. Jenna and Widget

Jenna and Widget New Member

I feed her when I get up around 6 am. And then again when I shoot her at 10:30. Ive been checking her blood every few hours to try to get a curve, but now I'm not sure I can trust those numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.