? What the Heck!?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Harley Baby & Michele, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/at-my-wits-end.201438/#post-2240440

Continuing my concerns of yesterday regarding picky eater. From what I read on this site it seems like 99% of cats get picky and are trying to give their mamas and papas Chest Pains!!

First, THANK YOU to everyone who has offered support and recommendations. Greatly appreciated.

8/21 AMPS = 95. No insulin given. PMPS skyrocketed to 414. I freaked and gave 1/2 unit; I said I would start at 1/4 unit. This is my fear, massive swings in glucose.
    8/21 AMPS = 145. I gave 1/4 unit. My mother is home to monitor but will not test. She said Harley was "picking" through the day.

My questions are:

2. Harley Baby & Michele

Oops. Did not mean to post yet.

My questions are:
    -Could Harley be "allergic" to Lantus as he has developed such wide swings?
    -Should I try a different insulin. I hate the Novolin as it did not work well for him.
    -What should be my No Shoot number based on how low he drops and his picky eating?

3. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

There are no questions. And you gave 2 results for the same date.

4. Phoebes (GA)

• Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

5. Harley Baby & Michele

Oops. Questions are above. Dates should be 8/21, then 8/22. :confused:

@Phoebes Thank you. So should I just go ahead and give 1/4 unit regardless of BG and just keep an eye on him? I guess if I keeping doing a No Shoot he will not stabilize. I feel like I can't repeatedly hold the insulin as he will keep skyrocketing then crashing over and over.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  6. Phoebes (GA)

s-l300.jpg here are some patience pants to wear. This sugar dance is a marathon not a sprint. :) lantus is a good insulin, it thrives on consistency.

7. Phoebes (GA)

I do not feel comfortable giving you dosing advise. But I do know with lantus consistency is key. I switched from lantus to levemir because my girl was miserable on it. But it took me a year to figure that out. Not giving shots and using different amounts will mess up the depot. Not saying Always shoot. And food of course enters into the figuring too. Your boy is keeping you on your toes, but that's what you do in any kind of dance ;) some others should come along with advise. Testing is your best defense and indicators of shooting or holding the dose. Is there no way to get your mom to help out with that? Just so you know how the insulin is affecting him.

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

She’s not allergic. My Max bounced for a year! Another member has not stopped bounce bg and it’s been two years. I used to envy the ones that didn’t bounce. That 29 calls for a reduction. Did you retest in case it was an error? How long was it before you got the 52 ? In fact if you are feeding any dry you should not shoot under 90.

Last night he should have gotten .25 rather than .50 with the drop under 50. The depot is likely in play tonight but if my cat I’d skip tonight to drain the depot and shoot .25 in the morning. Others may say shoot it tonight though.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  9. Harley Baby & Michele

Love the pants!!!

@Bellasmom You asked how Harley is eating today. The answer is: he eats. That's all I've got. He isn't Not eating.

He did not like the Parmesan cheese. He is rarely seen eating the Kibble. He is free fed. Always have kibble and canned on the floor. Reluctant to add Temptations Treats as a "Crouton" topper as he his BG has shot up even with 2-4 treats. I once gave him 40 treats when I freaked out when he was really low! Don't do that anymore. :facepalm: His weight is OK at 9#. Not skinny. Probably a good weight for him or maybe just a smudge more.

Thank you!

10. Harley Baby & Michele

No, mother won't test. I need to call sometime to remind her to put down fresh food.

Phoebes (GA) likes this.
  11. Harley Baby & Michele

Bouncing for 2 years???!!! :arghh::arghh::arghh: BG went from 29 - 52 in 45 minutes after 4 treats and maybe 1/4 can wet food, probably less; so I feel he does respond fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.