? What to do - my cat has swallowed some wool!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diana&Tom, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

My civvie Sapphire loves being in amongst whatever I'm doing and whilst I've been sorting some craft stuff she has just managed to get a short length (two or three inches) of wool into her mouth...I noticed and tried to get it out of her mouth but she ran off and I couldn't catch her. She's back in the same room as me now and she looks ok but I can't see that she's spat the wool out anywhere... yet neither is she swallowing hard or licking her lips or trying to make herself throw up... I'm worried that if she has swallowed it, it will get stuck somewhere... I really don't know what to do, any ideas please?

2. babyBoo

babyBoo Member

Wool is sheep hair, and cats swallow cat hair a lot. So it may not cause any trouble. Possibly the dies in the wool may be harmful but I think the wool itself would be similar to cat hair.
    Maybe call a vet and ask their opinion.

3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Right now just watch her....how long was the string? Hopefully it will go right thru the digestive tract and come out fine. She may come flying out of the litterbox with it hanging out of her butt.... :) If so and you need to help, VERY VERY slowly pull it out. If you feel resistance, don't continue as it may be wrapped where it doesn't need to be. Cut it off right there and watch a bit longer. If she doesn't pass that part then it's vet visit time. Hopefully this will be a non-event!!!

HUGS Diana!

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Hallulajah! That short of length shouldn't be a problem, just watch her...vet if she starts acting wierd. The wool itself really isn't the issue - the potential problem would be it hanging in the colon, turning a corner as it moves and binding around the colon somewhere. Glad it's short enough that's probably not going to happen. It's still scary!

FelineFriend likes this.
  6. Diana&Tom

It IS scary, yes, thanks for the sympathy! I certainly hope it will be a non-event... we shall see...

7. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Was a string (like yarn)? Or a thick piece of wool?
    One of my kitties swallowed a thick carpet string one time and passed it. It was about 5-6 inches long, but I panicked and went to the vet anyway, worried if it did any damage. I took the piece of carpet with me, and the vet looked at it and told me it wasnt long enough to cause problems. But then again, she already had passed it too.

8. Diana&Tom

It was wool (that's what we call it in the UK, it may be 'yarn' in the US). I'm worried that it's going to get stuck somewhere but she isn't showing any ill effects at all (anti jinx) which I can't help thinking is strange... sigh... we will see.

9. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

Oh Diana, please don't worry about your baby!
    Most of the time they just pass it with ... you know what and it will be end of it!
    What about giving her some oil (if she likes it) or even some animal fat like butter or lard to make everything more slippery, just a thought.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for a smooth "exit", I really think she will be fine.
    Sending love and hugs
    Marlena and Rocky:nailbiting::cat::bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Diana&Tom

Thank you everyone... no news to report so far but still keeping a watchful eye!

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  11. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Just saw this posting. Oh dear!!

Luckily Sapphire chose to eat a smaller piece of wool and hopefully it will all come out "in the end" if you know what I mean. ;) Maybe keep an eye on the litter box deposits the next few days and check to see if it has passed.

Sending prayers for a successful "evacuation" :bighug::bighug:

12. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I had a cat that ones ate about of a foot and a half of cross-stitch thread. Never even notice until she was walking around the house with a dried up poop on one and the other end still in the cat. Bad part was the other cat's thought it was toy to chase...

There was a bunch of hullabaloo going on. Caught her and put her in a room with the cat pan, because as much as I tried to gentle pull - that was not coming out.

Half a day later - there it was in the pan.

LizzieInTexas and Marlena like this.
  13. Marlena

Marlena Well-Known Member

So funny!

14. bbwyo

bbwyo Member

My cat has been eating holes in wool clothes, wool socks, wool blankets... since she was a baby. I always worry but so far thing work out. She has recently been diagnosed as borderline FD not sure if it has had anything to do with it and how do you calculated that in the feeding schedule:). Hope your kitty is ok. The string part is the worrisome detail. All you can do is be alert.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.