? What to do on the day of a dental cleaning with shooting?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melissa24, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melissa24

Melissa24 Member

I hope everyone is having a good night! I just got off the phone with my vet and we were discussing Callie having a dental cleaning in the next couple of weeks. We were discussing what our plan of attack should be on the day of the procedure regarding giving Callie her morning dose of insulin or skipping it. For those of you that have been in a similar situation with your kitties (undergoing anesthesia), what did you do the day of the procedure?

2. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Frankie had a dental earlier this year. Vet said if he was 15 or over (270) to give half dose. As he was first in the queue being diabetic, he would be given a appetite stimulant so he would eat straight away and then they would give him the other half dose. If he was under 270 then no dose.

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

We just skipped insulin on the morning of dentals.
    Skipping made it easier on all of us.

At the low dose you're giving Callie, I'd skip. You'll have her back on track in no time.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We've had two dentals...we skipped the morning of and then let the numbers guide us in the evening

Anesthesia can cause their numbers to go lower, so it's safer to skip ....and then when it's all over, it's important to be careful and only feed a little bit at a time since anesthesia can cause some nausea and you don't want them to be throwing up

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Melissa24

Melissa24 Member

Thank you for the advice. Since it is a low dose and I didn't know about anesthesia possibly making her go lower, I think it will be best to skip! I am calling to make her appointment today.

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It depends upon yur vet's experience. For mine 1/2 dose and 1/2 food if BG is as expected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.