? What to do? PMPS 165.. +1 200 +2 190 skip shot?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lbwise, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lbwise

Lbwise Member

Hello! Trying to figure out if should skip shot? Have been doing tight regulation.. just switched..
    any input appreciated! Have fed LB as well.. numbers not going up enough for shot?

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

When was the last tine you fed? At PMPS time?

In the future, if you get a Pre-shot you're not sure about shooting, stall, don't feed and post for help

How about your shooting schedule for tomorrow? If you shoot now, can you shoot again 12 hours from now? You'd be off schedule for a couple of days. You can move shot times by 15 minutes per cycle or 30 minutes per day to get back to where you want to be

3. Lbwise

Lbwise Member

also now.. 3 hours post who shot would have been...

4. Lbwise

Lbwise Member

I don't mind staying up till see numbers go up a little? Would it still be ok to shoot then.. even though its 4 hours post?
    I had to go out to diner with my dad who was in town I figured number would come back up by time we got back but instead it went down...
    not sure what to do tonight? 1.0, skip or wait for number to go up?

5. Chris & China (GA)

If your schedule can be off by that much, I'd go ahead and shoot the 2 units

Once you've got testing down and are more comfortable with everything, we lower the "no shot" limit to 150

But if you're unsure about doing that, you can always shoot a smaller dose, like 1.5

If you do decide to shoot tonight, the number you actually SHOOT is your PMPS.....and you'd want to get a +1 and +2 to keep a closer eye on how things are going

From the Sticky on "Shooting and handling low numbers"

HOW TO DEAL WITH LOW PRESHOT NUMBERS:The following guidelines apply to those following the Tight Regulation Protocol only.

You just tested your cat’s preshot number, and there is a much lower than usual number staring back at you. What do you do?

There is no one-size-fits all answer, but there are some general guidelines. As with everything else, each cat is different (ECID) and each caregiver is different too.

The short answer is that most kitties can be shot at +12, almost regardless of the number, once you are data ready to do so. The exception is that shooting 30s or 40s is not recommended for most cats, so if a cat is lower then usually the best option is to wait until they are at a shootable number to shoot. What constitutes a shootable number will vary by cat, but we don't suggest or recommend shooting a preshot number less than 50. While you’re waiting, the depot is draining, so you want to get the insulin in as soon as it makes sense to shoot.

If it is your first time shooting green, then we will likely suggest that you stall the first time, even if the number is 80-100. That will let you collect data on what your cat will do when you stall. One thing you can do if you are having a low cycle is to get a +10 and +11. Those will give you a good idea of how quickly the cat’s numbers are rising (or not) when preshot time arrives.

Beyond the general guidelines, there are other factors we consider when we are helping someone with a low preshot.
    • If the low preshot is not part of that cat’s normal pattern or there is reason to think something might be wrong, we will be more conservative.
    • If the cat is not a food spiker or tends to have an early onset/early nadir then they may not want to shoot as low. If the cat has a late nadir, then they will HAVE to learn to shoot low.
    • We will also be more conservative in some cases because of the person – if you are not able to monitor then you want to be more careful, or if you are not sure that you can get back to the board to keep us updated throughout the cycle. Trust me, if you shoot low, we will be watching for your updates and we will worry if we don’t see them.
    • We have to be a lot more careful with the cats who eat only dry food, because they don’t have access to the tools the rest of us use to keep our cats safe.
    • Also, when it comes to very low preshots, there is an unwritten rule that whoever helps that person shoot low should expect to sit with them through any low parts of the cycle. There have been times when I knew a cat’s number was likely shootable, but I also knew that I could not be around to help if the shot resulted in low numbers later in the cycle. For safety’s sake, if I could not find someone else who would be available to support for the next several hours, I would most likely suggest that the shot be reduced or skipped. I will not encourage someone to shoot low and then abandon them.
    • There are a lot of other scenarios, and you always want to keep your cat in mind.

6. Lbwise

Lbwise Member

Thanks so much! I think I will take his number again and then decide.. would prefer to do the 2 but I guess if it does not go up I would be safe doing the 1.5?
    Tired and hard to make these decisions! I guess I could also go to sleep and wake up at 4am and then give him the 2.. but he would loose some of the depot as that would be like missing a shot...

7. Chris & China (GA)

When is 4am?

At this point, you might want to consider just doing two 18 hour cycles......Shoot the 2 units at what would be your usual +6 tonight, then skip the AM shot completely and shoot at the usual time tomorrow night at PMPS

On TR, we have a saying "Shoot low to stay low"....we love it when they give us a lower Pre-shot number!!

Gradually you'll learn to shoot lower and lower numbers....those of us with plenty of data will shoot anything over 50 (68 on the Alpha Track)

8. Lbwise

Lbwise Member

Its 9:50 here.. think I will test and decide by 10:30.. either give him reduced dosage or 2.0...
    that way tomorrow I can still give him the 2 dosages..(10 am/10pm) and its not to late for me to do a +2 will only be midnight then...
    thanks so much for input!!!

9. Lbwise

Lbwise Member

Thanks so much for the help!!! I did a 2.0 at +16.5.. I will adjust schedule accordingly.. shot was at 10:30pm so will do tomorrow at 10:00.
    I really did not want to skip a dose and yet was scared to shoot so low. I need to get used to that idea. Think the numbers just shocked me today as was so used to pink zone! And of course have family in town so life is more disrupted. now need to figure out how to account for this in spreadsheet. Will also do a +2

10. Chris & China (GA)

OK....all the tests you got between the "normal" PMPS time and now you'd "stack" in the +11 cell and enter the number he was actually at as your PMPS tonight...In the "remarks" add something like "stalled for 4,.5 hours"

To stack the other numbers, in the +11 cell put 165 @ +12, 200 @ +13....etc.....and then put the 340 in the PMPS cell since that's what you actually shot

11. Chris & China (GA)

Next time you're unsure of whether to shoot or not, stall....don't feed....and post for help....Make sure your subject line is really clear that you're waiting...something like "STALLING....NEED HELP!!!" usually works....LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.