? What to do when a med is needed at a certain time but you can't be home?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lillie, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lillie

Lillie Member

My Leo has come home from the hospital and needs to take a med three times a day. How on earth does anyone do this if you are gone during the day? The only thing I can think of is to pulverize it like I do his other meds and mix in food and set the food timer for his auto feeder. Other than hiring a vet tech to come and do this I'm out of ideas. I can't sit in my house all day! By the way his BG has been good and has not needed any insulin but have to watch for pre diabetes levels for a while. Yay for that but now his IBD has flared.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

What kind of medicine are you giving? Sounds like a pill. What kind of medicine? Some are bitter so mixing with food won't work. Have you ever used Pill Pockets? The dog allergy free duck and pea ones are fairly low carb. You can break off a piece and put the pill in there. Maybe he'll eat it along with some other treats out of his auto feeder.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Is Leo your only kitty? If so, the pet feeder option is what I'd try. Three times a day is ideally every 8 hours but maybe you could try altering that a bit to accommodate your absence during the day, say, 10 hr/7 h/7h, if the feeder isn't going to work.

4. Lillie

Lillie Member

He doesn't like pill pockets and when he actually bit into one he spit out the pill. He doesn't seem to mind any bitterness for some odd reason. His blood thinner med is very bitter but when it's mixed into his food he doesn't even know. Same with other meds, even when I pill him with the pill shooter and one gets stuck in his lip etc. he just doesn't mind it. He must not have any taste buds for bitter! Another reason may be that eats a very smelly and odorous duck canned food. He probably can't taste anything but the duck. I was just wondering if anyone here used the auto pet feeder for this type of thing and if it worked. I haven't seen the pill pockets for the allergy free duck- that might work if it doesn't have anything else in it. He's on a limited ingredient single protein food but they are so small maybe it would be ok.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The pill pockets for duck are only available in the dog size so you have to check that section. For bitter pills, though it doesn't seem to be an issue, you can stuff them in a empty gel cap. Size #3, 4, and 5 work for cats. The larger the size, the smaller the gel cap. You can get them on Amazon and some compounding pharmacies.

6. Lillie

Lillie Member

Oh, I forgot I had the gel caps. I'll try those for his very small pill that falls out of the pill popper because it's so tiny. By the time I turn the pill popper over they fall out and I was wondering what the heck I was going to do because giving him a pill by hand does not work (I need to keep my fingers).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.