What to do with Bølle

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Charlotte & Prop, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlotte & Prop

Charlotte & Prop Member

For a few months we have tried to find the right dose for Bølle. We started at 0,2 u and slowly raised him with 0,05 every 4-6 days. His patteren has been, that everytime he gets a number below 180 he pretty much bounces really hard and ends up ind red og black colars. When we reached 0,5 u his numbers got worse, why he is now settled on .4 u. But nothing really happens. His number a pretty much most of the time just below 300 or just above. No fall in bs really but then again no bounces. Last night Bølle didnt come home at shot time. He didn't get his shot since he came back late. At + 17 his numbers were 425 but this morning, still with no insulin he has regulated him self down to 333.
    Lately he is eating less and peeing less. He seems in good health and is a happy cat. But we dont really know what to do next since his numbers are still to high.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html
    Thanks for any help :)
    Charlotte

2. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

He might still need more insulin than .6u. He had some good numbers on higher doses of caninsulin, but that insulin wears off so fast he ended up in high numbers again. I just think it is an indication that he can reach those numbers of more insulin.

Not sure why the 425 overnight. Maybe he got into some high carb food outside somewhere. hard to know for sure.

He does seem sensitive to dose changes, so make the changes at .1u increments and let them settle 3-5 days before increasing again. Hopefully, that will give hm time to adjust and stop bouncing into the 400s. He really has only had a few numbers above 399 since he started on levemir.

It can take a month or two to find regulation on a new insulin. It took me a lot longer with Jeddie - over a year because he is also sensitive to dose changes and gave confusing numbers. I have to let him settle for weeks on a dose before I get steady numbers and any small change in his routine messing that all up again.

3. Charlotte & Prop

Charlotte & Prop Member

Thanks Sheila

Nina will start with 0,45 tonight and then by thursday she will begin 0,5 unit. Then we have to see. Last time his numbers began to raise when he got 0,5 to maybe we have to stay longer on that dose to see if his numbers stabilize.

4. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

There will often be "wonky" numbers on a dose increase - and raising numbers is part of that. You just have to stay with the dose long enough to see if things settle. Look at how long he was at .5u before and stay a few days longer - unless the numbers keep climbing and climbing each day, but I bet they won't They should stabilize and then start to drop a bit with each increase.

Post if you are unsure what to do or what the numbers mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.