? What to feed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Silver curls, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silver curls

Silver curls New Member

My 7 year old male cat who's indoors was just diagnosed with diabetes. He's about 10.5 pounds and I'm overwhelmed with all the issues on food, etc., and want to make sure he gets better soon! My confusion is cat food. The vet said DM Dietetic Management only, but it's still high in carbs @ 18%. I was previously feeding Nulo dry and wet mixed.

Does anyone have insight they can share on Nulo? Is it ok to keep him on it, if he's starting insulin? Should I transition to wet only to alleviate the problem of carbohydrates?

I've never had this happen with previous cats, so a little overwhelming and I don't want him to be sick!

Please don't post if you plan to "shame"...

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The majority here feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. There are only a handful of dry foods under 10 %carb... Dr elsley's clean protein and Young Again Zero carb food are two.

Here us a food list of canned foods that lists the carbs. You'll want to choose a food that is less than 10% carb.

http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

No shame here.... We are here to help.

Transitioning to wet is definitely the way to go... But make sure you are monitoring the bg when you do so as switching to a low carb food can drastically lower the blood glucose levels. We can help teacher you how to test at home if uou are willing to try it. It's the best way to keep your cat safe and find the right dose.

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Once you start insulin, I would not do a dramatic change to a lower carb food without home testing as his numbers could come down a lot with just the change in carbs. That majority of us feed a low carb wet food like the Fancy Feast or Friskies pates. Here is a great sortable list of foods put together by Dr. Lisa Pierson (of CatInfo.org) who posts here sometimes.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  4. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Nulo (wet) is listed on the chart. Looks like it is between 8-10% carbs.

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

The Nulo Pate is under 5 carbs. its on Dr Lisas list above the Nulo Freestyle Minced/Shredded

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  6. Silver curls

Silver curls New Member

The vet told me to dose with 2 units. She also told me to come back in 10 days for a curve test? The good thing with Grey is that he likes wet food over the combo mix, so transitioning him to wet only will not be an issue. I was just so overwhelmed, and couldn't understand why she told me I could continue with the dry/wet mix??? And I know they "press" certain brands like Purina DM Dietetic because of the financial benefits, but why force someone one something that is "prescription" only instead of offering options? He likes the Nulo, so it's likely what I'll keep feeding him, and yes, I'd like to learn how to test his BG, but the thought of it freaks me out.

7. JanetNJ

Keep feeding the nulo wet.... Save the dry for if he ever goes low and has to be steered up.
    i know it does seem scary. My cat started out on 1 unit of vetsulin and after six weeks was told to raise it to 2. It made me uneasy doubling the dose and so with the encouragement of the people on here I learned to test. Best decision! It helped to keep her safe and helped me find the right dose and eventually get her into remission.

Honestly I think a lot of vets just aren't really well informed on food options for diabetic cats. Most don't get much training on feline diabetes in general.

You said you were prescribed 2 units. What insulin? That's a fairly high starting dose.

I have a video linked in my signature showing how I test my cat CC that may put you at ease about about home testing.

Julia Rae likes this.
  8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

No shaming here :bighug:. We all started where you are and try to help! Like Janet said, Vet's don't get much training on FD because they have to know a little about a lot of things. I've also heard they don't have much nutrition training either, except by the big food companies who are in Sales :rolleyes:. Here are some Hometesting Links and Tips for you, in addition to Janet's video.

The majority of members in the states use Walmart's ReliOn Confirm/Micro human glucometer due to better affordability of test strips. That will be the main cost factor in supplies. Here's a list I made to give to new members:
    1. Meter ($15)
    2. Test strips ($35.88 / 100)
    3. 26 or 28 gauge lancets ($4)
    4. Neosporin / triple antibiotic ointment (Polysporin if CAN) ($3)
    5. Ketone test strips
    6. A treat for yourself :cat:

Will also help if you can setup your Signature with some information about your kitty: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    All who have replied so far are using this Spreadsheet template, to track BG and allow other members to see your kitty's numbers. Just need a Google account and if you need help setting one up, just ask: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    Lastly, I like to give this to new members to read ahead of time. Better to be prepared but I hope you never need it: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

Feel free to ask any questions :)

9. Silver curls

Silver curls New Member

She prescribed Vetsulin. Said that dose twice daily and diet should get him regulated. I'm going to read the attachments and put on my big girl "undies" and learn to test his BG at home.

Thank you all for the insight, direction, suggestion and support...

Dyana, JanetNJ and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  10. Yong & Maury GA

Just make sure with Vetsulin:
    1. No food 2 hours prior to PS (preshot) time (This part is actually applicable to all insulins).
    2. You will do PS time at least 30 minutes before actual shot time.
    3. If BG (blood glucose) is above 250 (will be lowered as you get data), he will get insulin.
    4. Your order: Test BG, if above 250 mg/dL (13.8mmol/L since I don't see a location yet :)) give him his meal.
    5. Wait 20 - 30 minutes and give insulin shot. **Do Not Rub injection site**
    6. As often as you can, once you start home testing, try to get a +2 or +3 (hours after shot administered).
    This is a faster onset-ting insulin and testing 2 or 3 hours after shot can tell you where he's headed. It will be a routine in no time :cat:

11. JanetNJ

You can do it. The first two weeks are so stressful but I promise it gets better. Just watch because two units twice a day is a big starting dose. Most start out with 1 unit twice a day.

While you are looking at testing supplies (by the was the Walmart Relion Micro or Confirm are popular choices because they are cheap and require a small blood sample), make sure you have honey and just a few cans of gravy lovers food just in case she goes too low.

12. Silver curls

Silver curls New Member

Since this all new (last night was first dose) and he's supposed to go back in 10 days for curve test, should I drop to 1 unit/twice per day or stick with the dose Vet said? I don't even know what pre-shot is?? I work full time so testing after he's gotten his shot in the morning isn't an option. This is a lot of information to absorb and I'm freaking out!

13. JanetNJ

Honestly 1 unit is a lot safer since you can't monitor yet. It will take a bit of the worry away as the chance of hypo is less at a lower dose. A lot of people work full time and do this. A preshot test is a test before shot time to make sure the bg is high enough for insulin. If you shoot at 7am/pm you would test at 6:30 am/pm. If you work you may not get mid cycle readings until evening and days off... That's OK, do what you gotta do

14. Silver curls

Silver curls New Member

Thank you! How long should I wait after he eats to give shot? Immediately administer or wait few minutes? I feel like I'm going to start breathing again...

15. Yong & Maury GA

I wrote something out for you in post #10. Bottom right corner of every post is a # next to Like and Reply buttons.
    Yes, keep breathing :bighug:. I like Janet's suggestion of dropping down to 1.0U since you are not home and haven't started home testing yet. It's a lot to take in, we all remember but you are not alone! Once you get into your groove, it will be a routine. I've been so tired in evenings sometimes that I didn't know if I'd stay awake long enough for his before bed test. Then heading to bed, I'd think about testing him and realize I was already doing it :smuggrin:

16. Silver curls

Silver curls New Member

I administered the 2nd of many shots this morning at 1.oU. I'm giving him about 2.5oz of wet food before. Does that seem like enough or should I give him a little more food this evening? Can he get a treat 1 TBSP of soft in between meals and insulin?

17. JanetNJ

Well done...

He can eat whenever you want in between as long as no food two hours prior to a preshot test.

18. Yong & Maury GA

Just want to clarify this is more portraying many shots in the future, not multiple attempts with 1.0U this morning because of a fur shot?

19. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

He will need to be fed prior to his shots in the morning and in the evening. I think most people feed multiple smaller meals throughout the day each cycle especially leading up to or around the nadir time (lowest point in the BG). Some people use automatic feeders while at work or during the night.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  20. Silver curls

Silver curls New Member

I administered 1.0u this morning on the 1st attempt, so not a fur shot. He got his 2nd shot administered this evening

21. Silver curls

Silver curls New Member

I'm not to that level of skill yet on testing, so will make sure he's getting enough food prior to shot. He's taking them fairly calm so far and he's loving the wet food only:)

22. Yong & Maury GA

No, no, what we're saying is no food 2 1/2 hours before shot time. This will help you get into the routine of no food before pre-shot test, for when you start. The reason is so the Pre-shot number is not food influenced.:)

23. Silver curls

Silver curls New Member

I've noticed his water consumption has decreased substantially since the shots started, so that's a good thing? I left this morning for day and when I got back and checked his litter box and only peed once. He's tolerating the shots surprisingly well and not trying to nip or bite. Taking them like a big boy:)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  24. Yong & Maury GA

That is good :). Most kitties barely feel the injection. Since you're seeing improvements, the next step is home testing ;). I'm going to re-post part of my first reply to you.

Please setup your Signature with some information about your kitty: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    All who have replied so far are using this Spreadsheet template, to track BG and allow other members to see your kitty's numbers. Just need a Google account and if you need help setting one up, just ask: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    Lastly, I like to give this to new members to read ahead of time. Better to be prepared but I hope you never need it: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

25. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

I think DM pate is about 6% carbs, not 18%. Fancy Feast classic pates are about 2%.

26. Yong & Maury GA

DM Dry is about 18% carbs, I think that's what her first post was referring to :)

27. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

Oops. Thanks for correcting.

28. Silver curls

Silver curls New Member

Oliver M. Gray is loving the Nulo canned and they're grain free! He went to vet for his glucose test and they couldn't get him to eat, so he will go back in 2 weeks. Vet was fine with him on the 1 unit dosage as opposed to the 2 unit initially prescribed for Vetsulin. This weekend will be my first attempt to do glucose test as I've been crazy busy and just got meters and supplies in the mail. Wish me luck:/

Kris & Teasel and JanetNJ like this.
  29. JanetNJ

You can do it!

Dyana likes this.
  30. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Welcome and an applause for the successful shooting. Is a good start.

Wishing you all the luck on the testing, just remember be patient, it's not easy the first times ( we all have been there ) it may require a few tries that's ok , remember you can come here and ask or just tell us how everything went doesn't matter if it was good or bad.

Once you get a schedule in place is possible to do all of this with a full time job (I work full time too), right now just take a deep breath, you will adjust his testing and shooting times to your schedule and since you can't test midday, which is ok , you could consider some tests during the night ( one just before you go to bed is really helpful ) or very early when you wake up, or if you shoot very early maybe one hour after his shoot before you leave for work, just some examples this were the times I usually did them and maybe during the weekends when you have some time you can get some midday test and you can program your curves on weekends.

The only tests that are truly indispensable (at least for now ) are the preshoot tests

31. Yong & Maury GA

Good luck! :)

One little thing, grain-free does not always mean carb-free. Just so you don't associate all grain free foods as being low carb options. Those sneaky manufacturer's :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.