? What to give to loosen stool?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meridith and Zeke, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meridith and Zeke

Meridith and Zeke Well-Known Member

Noticed earlier today that Zeke's bottom was looking a little red and swollen. Amazingly I was able to sit him in the litter box and he actually went, but instead of any of the poop having some length to it like normal, it was more like balls. So he is having some issue with going, though not stopped up at the moment. What would be good for giving him to help with this?

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

A lot of folks use pure pumpkin...not the pie filling but I'm not sure how much they give. Hopefully someone who uses it will chime in with more details. I'd also make sure Zeke is well hydrated by adding a little water to his food. If he gets constipated, then Miralax can be used too.

Meridith and Zeke likes this.
  3. Meridith and Zeke

Does the pumpkin need to be fully cooked or would partially cooked be ok? Asking because I actually have pumpkin in my freezer that is only partially cooked because I will finish cooking it when I am ready to use it so it is more fresh.

4. Lillie

Lillie Member

Pure pumpkin puree or Miralax if he's only getting out small round balls, which means he is constipated. I think a teaspoon of the pumpkin is what some here use mixed in with his wet food but it's hard to know exactly how much he needs. For the Miralax I always used 1/4 teaspoon mixed in wet food. It may take a day or two to see results. I always had good results with the Miralax.

5. Lillie

Lillie Member

It would probably best to cook it fully so you can puree it in a blender. I'm not sure if they would eat it if it wasn't pureed.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I take it you haven't added any spices to the pumpkin in your freezer? I'd be careful with the spices.

7. Meridith and Zeke

Will get the pumpkin thawing so I can get him started on that in the morning. Guess I will be also fixing some pumpkin muffins tomorrow since he won't need the full 2 cups of pumpkin and it doesn't keep in the fridge long lol.

8. Meridith and Zeke

Nope, none because when I freeze it, I have no idea what I will be using it for. I love anything pumpkin lol.

9. Meridith and Zeke

Also, could him getting a bit constipated cause his #'s to be higher?

10. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I have used pumpkin puree many times; I always gave 1 tsp in the morning and 1 tsp in the evening, mixed in with food. I have a kitty who has been on Miralax for a couple of weeks now because he was having some chronic constipation issues. He gets 1/8 tsp morning and night with food and extra water (about 2 tbsp) added in. I have never used the pumpkin and Miralax in conjunction with each other.

11. Meridith and Zeke

TY, I will get it ready tonight, so I can start him on it in the morning. How long do you give it for? And how quickly should I see results by so if I need to get switched to the miralax instead?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.