What to shoot for a bounce?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Mizuniful, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizuniful

Mizuniful Member

I made the mistake of giving .75U when his AMPS was at 150. He was at 91 at +2, but has been steadily increasing since. I know he is going to bounce after this, but what dose should I give? Normal 1U? More? Less? None?

I believe he was so low this morning because he did not have Hills MD dry for 12 hours prior. I ordered Dr Elseys dry last week, and it finally came today so I would like to start using that free fed. Hopefully that will keep his numbers down like this and I can reduce/eliminate the insulin. He also gets 1 can of FF classic chicken twice a day before the shots.

I won't be able to monitor him much tonight because I need to actually sleep, and I am working tomorrow morning and won't be home until +8.

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

From the other cycles, it looks like one unit is a very safe dose for Spork right now, so I would think you'd be okay sticking with that this evening, assuming a normal or higher pre-shot. Do be careful as you switch the food, it can cause quick drops in BG and may require a dose adjustment. If tonight and tomorrow won't work to monitor, you might hold off switching until a cycle or two when you'll be around more. Some cats take a week or so to react to a change in food (mine), while others react almost instantly, so it's just hard to know.

Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  3. Mizuniful

Mizuniful Member

Thank you! It looks like he will probably be in the 300s for his PMPS so I will do 1U.

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

He actually didn't dip that low after this mornings shot with given extra food at +2. Did you make notes of how much you gave him and when? It's good data :)

5. Mizuniful

Mizuniful Member

I think I'm just worried since he has never been below 210, and I wasn't expecting him to drop so fast! I think the extra food really brought him up. I wonder how low he would have gotten without it.. I did make notes of everything I gave him to eat :).

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

It's completely OK. I had a little freak out when I first had to steer Maury (23 Feb). I was ok with the 80 I got but then an hour later got a 50 on my human meter :facepalm:. Looking back now, there was no need :smuggrin:. 18 Mar I got even lower readings and didn't panic at all or pull out honey :p. These are super helpful experiences, even if we lose a few hairs ;)

Kris & Teasel, Rachel and Mizuniful like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.