What to tell her?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by timetravel21217, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timetravel21217

timetravel21217 New Member

Hi: I am new here, and need some advice rather quickly. I live on the East Coast; my friend lives on the West coast. She is heavily involved in Trap spay/neuter release, doing most of the work on her own as there is next to nothing where she resides. Because of her care and compassion for feral and stray/abandoned cats she now has 34 cats in her home. All but 6 are up for adoption. So far, she has successfully adopted out a three legged cat, several one eyed cats, and other various kittens, teens and adults, healthy themselves. The current problem: the youngest rescue, still a kitten and small for his age, Toby, was just diagnosed diabetic - type 1. Because she free feeds her other cats, there is no way to keep Toby seperate from their food. Not to mention the cost of treatment. She herself is living on a small disability income, which is stretched to the limits caring for the other cats and herself. People have donated to the vet fund for her cats which has enabled surgeries needed and other care. But this will be long term, and the expense involved phenomenal, esp. because Toby is so young. At this point she feels she has no other choice than to have Toby euthanized, which seems so cruel considering how young he is...she has not had much luck finding homes lately and who would want to take in a kitten with type 1 diabetes. Has anyone else faced this problem? What have you done?

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I coordinate a project called Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN). You can see the blog, which explains the mission and presents some of the cats the project is helping and has helped.

Is your friend looking to rehome Toby? If so, and she is interested in having DCIN help to rehome Toby, please have her answer these questions.

Is your friend instead looking for ways to afford Toby's treatment? DCIN can try to help with either, but she should be aware that financial sponsorship comes with some conditions, such as feeding low carb wet or raw food (unless there is a good reason not to), hometesting blood sugars, and periodically (at least 2-3 times/week) posting the cat's status here on the FDMB or on another diabetic cat Board, Diabetic Cat Care.

JMO, there is no test for whether a diabetic cat is type 1 or type 2, and a young age doesn't necessarily indicate type 1, which I believe you are equating to being unable to go into remission. There may be environmental or medical reasons that such a young cat is showing high blood sugars that can be controlled so that he can go into remission. I wouldn't be surprised if he is super stressed living with 33 other cats. But as I said, JMO.

You can contact me here through the PM system, or by email at vmaewood @att.net (remove space).

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

PS...

....there's another post active at the moment about a 1 YO diabetic cat. http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7247&view=unread#p72463 You might want to read that to get some understanding of what I meant by environmental or medical reasons for a young cat to display diabetic numbers.

Also, where is the cat. City, state? He's more likely to catch someone's eye if he's nearby.

V

4. timetravel21217

I am sorry to say Toby passed away today in the vet's office....he was having multiple organ failure - the vet said it appeared a congenital liver defect was contributing to the trouble. One thing Jody had noticed when Toby was a bit younger was that he kept licking a cinder block she used to support something in her home. He was the only cat ever of all the cats she's taken in who did that. Eventually she had to remove the cinder block. The past few days he wouldn't eat or drink on his own but he did allow her to "force feed" him a bit of wet food here and there...and some water. Today she googled the cinder block licking and found that it can be related in kittens to liver disorders, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, etc. Toby was extremely small for his age, too. She had him ever since his mother gave birth to him under an old house. I appreciate your help - she would have been looking to rehome him since there is no way to seperate the cats from the food. I'll hang on to the information, though, just in case she ever gets another one. She lives in Albany, Oregon by the way. Again, many thanks.

5. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh no...I am so sad to hear this.

Bless you, little Toby, and those who tried to help you.

Look for Smokey and Mr. Kitty at Rainbow Bridge...they know their way around well by now.

Fly free, Toby.

6. timetravel21217

thanks Karen and Smokey - I already sent a request, too, to my Ginger, who went to rainbow heaven two years ago exactly. And my Skitty, who passed right before Ginger did. its so sad losing a cat, especially a kitten who you know has, or should have, a full wonderful life ahead. My friend is just devastaded. She made the decision before he died to do whatever she could for him, to try, anyway, even if it bankrupted her.

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Fly free Toby. wings_cat

8. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

So sad......

please give your friend my deepest sympathy. She did all that she could to help Toby wings_cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.