What type glucometer

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rascalsmom3, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rascalsmom3

Rascalsmom3 Member

My vet said I need a glucometer. Which brand and style should I be buying? I’m so confused with all the options. Thank you in advance.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I like the pet meter Alphatrak. It's a pet meter so you get similar readings as the vet. It's the meter my vet uses. To save money I usually use Freestyle Insulinx strips with them.

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

3. Rascalsmom3

Rascalsmom3 Member

Thank you so much! That video was great too!

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Your welcome. Just so you know many on here so use human meters. Whichever you choose I would pick one that requires a 0.3 size sample. There are some that require double that and it's difficult to get that.

5. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

I got the Relion Prime (human blood glucose meter) at Wal Mart because it was cheap, and more importantly, the STRIPS were cheap. Strips are not reusable, so that is where the companies make money.

Human meters often read a little lower than pet meters, but the important thing is to use the same meter all the time. Also store strips properly and use before expiration.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.