What type of plate/bowl do you feed your wet food on?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by paige, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I know that most of us feed our sugarbabies wet food. I have four cats that are all on wet food now. They get fed twice a day. I find myself doing the dishes alot more often now. Which isn't so bad; at least I am keeping the kitchen clean :lol:

Do you all use those bowls specific for cat food, or do you just use a small saucer/plate?

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Regular pet bowls are fine, small saucers too. I wouldn't recommend plastics, or at least some plastics.

If they don't mind sharing, you could always use one giagantic large plate. :lol:

I use PYREX clear glass bowls, cuz of Luna's plastic and some ceramic allergens. He has issues with that, lol

3. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

I used ceramic cat bowls. Sometimes for treats I'll use a small shallow plastic bowl.

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

So you both don't see a problem with the lip on the bowls? I know this sounds silly, but I have one persian and with her little flat face I worried that with the bowl it would be hard for her with wet food.

Heck they all share so Ronnie's idea of one large plate is kinda on my mind :D

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Actually, I forgot that part..for a while I was using these little bowls, like custard size bowls, and I noticed they weren't finishing their food, or looking up at me as if to try to tell me something, circling the bowls.
    My civie is long hair and has a lot of fur on her head and face.

Ah-ha! The bowls were too small and the rim was a bit too high. Cats whiskers are sensitive and when things touch their whiskers they're cautious or back away, know what I mean?

So yea, the height of the rim might be bugging them.

6. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

When I switched Tida over to wet food, I noticed that she was making a huge mess when i just put it on a saucer. Because of the added water, she seemed to be splattering a lot of little bits around the saucer as she lapped it up. I changed her over to small bowl that could be called a "fruit bowl" , almost like a "finger bowl" that came up in a slight curve. She doesn't make near the mess she used to. I have 2 of those and I switch it out every time I feed her. Seems like I feed her a little bit every 2-3 hours.

7. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

I use clear glass salad plates that look a little like bowls but are not as deep, they are restaurant-style. They are about 7" in diameter and I picked them up at a thrift store. I use these because Leo has vision problems and he can always see his food on them, plus I can soup up his food without making a terrible mess. And yes, I am constantly washing dishes LOL

8. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

mine will eat off of anything but i mostly use these little single serve metal bowls you can get at walmart in the pet section or in the dog section at petsmart. i have about 30-35 of them and they are easy to clean and each cat seems to have a designated spot to eat out of their bowls so i can keep track of who's eating how much for the most part. :)

and i don't have a cleanliness problem with the bowls really. yes sometimes someone will walk up to me and they've got a chunk of food in their whiskers or on their cheek but they just finished eating and sure enough they sit down and clean themselves up in a jiffy.

Kitty in her last year or so didn't groom but a few times a year so she would get food on her chin and cheeks and it would dry there. we just got in the habit of cleaning her face for her every couple days. when she'd climb up on us we'd just grab a comb and comb it out of her hair for her and she reeeeally seemed to enjoy it too. probably felt good to get her hair untied. :)

9. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I use small paper plates, with fresh ice (yes ice cubes) in their water bowl (steel or ceramic). However, I do feed Baby Raw on a ceramic dish that has no edges, basically any sort of plate that has no edges for their whiskers to touch. I also use plastic forks/spoons. I know not the best as far as environment & cost..but I am being honest. I don't do a lot of dishes, but find that I am constantly washing my hands, after rolling the Raw into little balls baby can eat & then sprinkling freeze dried on top. My hands are cracked, dry & bleeding! Yuck!!

10. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

I used to use large ceramic plates with a cute kitty pattern on them.
    I have 3 cats but they don't like to share most of the times. Sometimes I put down 3 plates
    other times 2 since they don't always like to eat at the same time.

I found at the dollar store small glass plates. I never use a bowl since most cats don't like to
    place their face into something.
    Smaller plates are easier to handle as well and yes, I am forever soaking them in the sink.
    I am off to get a few more today.

11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I used to use ceramic, shallow cat bowls that I got from Target for $1. However, they are are broken. Frequently the cats know them off the kitchen counter. I now like the shallow, rounded stainless steel bowls from PetSmart. The have a rubber bottom that helps prevent moving and the inside is rounded so there are no crevices fo food to get in.

12. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

We got ours from a discount restaurant supply store. They are the small bowls you often see at diners that cole slaw comes in or that they keep jellies and butters in.

Deep enough for my CH kitty to use without getting too much food on the outside, yet shallow enough for my foster kittens who are often under 2 pounds when they get here. Plus I can microwave these to heat up the kittens food when needed. Also, seem easier to wash than any of the other bowls or plates I've used in the past.

Suzzette likes this.
  13. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

I have 4 sets of dishes because I got tired of doing the dishes so often. But since I wash them after each feeding, nothing's really changed. ;) I have two sets of ceramic bowls and two sets of plastic bowls, all meant for kitties. I started out feeding them on human saucers, but we don't have that many dishes and so the saucers were never available when I wanted to use one for myself. ;)

I like the ones with the rubberized bottom; dishes slipping around while kitty tries to eat is no fun for anyone. ;)

14. troublelaurak

troublelaurak Member

I have a collection of plain ceramic shallow bowls for Scout and Smokey - they are dishwasher safe, so they get a clean bowl for every meal and I can wash them and run the sanitize cycle. Of course, my friends saw the pile of these I keep on the kitchen window sill and they think I'm crazy... Laura

15. maryjoandsmokie

maryjoandsmokie Member

I use flat plates for Smokie and Fluffy. i read on a crf site to use flat plates because
    cats don't like their whiskers to touch the side of bowls. This site also said to never use
    soap to clean the plate, just real hot water.
    No matter what dish i put Fluffy's food in he always takes a big mouth full and deposits it
    a foot away on the floor and eats part of it there. He has very bad table manners!
    It feels real creepy when i get up at nite without turning the light on and step in that cold
    food.

16. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I use small saucers, a cup saucer or a bread plate. Stuff left over from old dish sets. The cats don't get a fresh plate for each feeding; fresh plates come out once a day.

As for washing them, that's one of DH's chores.

I tried paper and styrofoam plates, but with hardwood floors, they just slide around. I can't put the plates on a rug because then Casey scratches the rug trying to bury the food.

17. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I was in bed bath beyond and in the salad bowl section, found a set of small glass salad bowls (8 in a box for about $10). I got two sets and use these exclusively for the cats.

It's perfect in size, depth and dimension. Fits all food and treats in it just fine. And the girls seems to like it.

I use different bowls/glasses for water.

So, next time your browsing check the salad or kitchen area or even clearance section and you never know what you may find.

18. Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA)

Elizabeth&Julia&Margaret(GA) Member

My girls eat off of the salad plates that go with our regular dish set. They used to eat out of "cat" dishes/bowls but they never finished the food. When Margaret was diagnosed, I started putting her food on the plates to mix it and she loved eating off of plates. Julia caught on and now it is all they will use. They clean the plate(s) every time.

BTW Nicole...my hands are just like yours after so much washing. I, also, handle a lot of money at work so I'm OCD about keeping my hands clean. Just yesterday I got some Curel Ultra Healing Intensive Moisture Lotion For Extra-Dry Skin and it seems to be helping my hands a great deal compared to other hand creams.

19. paige

paige Well-Known Member

WOW! Thank you to everyone who responded. I am going to return the little bowls I bought at Persmart today and buy some cheap little saucers :D

We have been using "our" salad plates and bread plates but we don't have as many as they seem to go through.

Thanks a bunch. Stay warm out there :coffee:

20. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

We use 12 oz paper bowls and dispose of them once per day (fresh bowls every morning, add food in the evening)

21. VictorsMom (GA)

VictorsMom (GA) New Member

FWIW, I get my cat food saucers & bowls from the Goodwill/Salvation Army thrift stores. I have one cat that uses a saucer, but my CRF cat uses a cereal bowl because I like to add extra water to his food. I have lots of cheap, mis-matched bowls & saucers in the cat cabinet. There's no way they'll ever get mistaken for people-food dishes and end up in the wrong place with the dishwasher gets unloaded.

22. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

I buy the smaller styrofoam bowls, in bulk, at Sam's. I put 6 or 7 down at a time, depending on the weather and their eating habits at the time. I bought some of the cute kitty saucers at PetSmart when they were on sale. Each bowl sits in one of those saucers so they don't move around when the cats are eating. The bowls are up a bit higher sitting in the bowls and the cats like that. They get a fresh bowl every time I mix up more food. Works for us.

23. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I use small glass bowls that amost come to a point at the bottom, these bowls bit perfectly into the 5 sections of the Petsafe 5meal autofeeder that Shadoe uses.

Outside of the feeder, I use glass soup bowls.

24. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Sundance got her food in dessert dishes with stems. She liked having the bowl higher so she didn't have to bend down so far...

[​IMG]

Barclay gets his food in little glass dessert dishes without stems... he kept knocking the stemware over. He's a bit rough. So his are vintage heavy pink glass. But they are not just his...I just gave Daniel some peanut brittle in one.. hahahah... So we all share...

25. LindaLee & Napoleon

LindaLee & Napoleon Member

Thrift stores are the best to find mismatched dishes & bowls for the cats.

Our purrfect dishes are 1 1/2" deep cereal bowl with a 1 1/2" flat ledge surrounding the top. The bowl can easily hold 2 cans of wet food w/water added.

They're purrfect because the food droppings land on the flat ledge & are eaten. Crumbs don't fall on the floor.

Cute little flower pattern for my dainty little girls. ;-)

26. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

I feed my boys on porcelain saucers from the thrift store - I have three sets that I can rotate.

I also put them on a wrought iron stand made for cat bowls - it elevates them a little, I heard that it was good for cats not to stoop or bend over to eat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.