What vitamins and supplements do you give your FDs and why?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

and how much?

I read about so many different supplements that I can't keep it all straight. ohmygod_smile

I feel sure I should be giving my whole gange suppliments - someone said there isn't enough taurine in commercial food, and probably not enough B vits. or omega 6.....

Thanks! :D

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Im with you on this. There are so many vitamins and supplements talked about on this site, I'm always lost and confused (well, THAT doesn't really take that much!) I am interested in seeing the responses.

3. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sheila,

I give Zoe:

Dasuquin for the arthritis in her hips....1 capsule per day. She is back to jumping on things (including kitchen counters which she is not allowed ! :roll: ) and running all over the place.

Fortiflora....1 packet a day....this is a probiotic, which helps her tummy....she loves it and would have 2 packets a day if I let her. I mix it with water and pour the "gravy" over her food. Yummy! (in Zoe's opinion)

Hope that helps....a little!

Sherry & Zoe

4. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

sherry, how did you know that zoe needed Fortiflora? Is it something you just give her, just because? Were there symptoms of tummy problems?

5. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

Cosequin - for arthritis. Two gelcaps per day for two weeks, decrease to one gelcap per day after. Dosing decided by manufacturer's recommendation; think there may have been something based on weight (ie, a very big cat might need more). Eventually replaced that with

Dasuquin - for arthritis. Same dosing, etc, as Cosequin.

B-12 injections (cyanocobalamin) - .3 mL twice a week, for IBD. Started with the TAMU protocol, eventually segued to much larger than normal doses due to very long term IBD / B12 absorption problems.

B12 gelcaps (methylcobalamin) - 3mg once a day, to decrease probability and effect of diabetic neuropathy, diabetic retinopathy, etc, etc. (Gwyn was a long-term steroid user for IBD, so she sometimes had complications.) Dosage per normal board recommendations.

L-Lysine - immune system booster. 250mg twice a day, because long-term steroid use compromises the immune system and Gwyn was therefore extremely susceptible to UTIs. Dosage per normal board recommendations.

Potassium gluconate - 1/4 tsp once a day. For kidney disease. Dosage per vet.

Thiamine (B-1) - 25 mg once a day. 'Cause the oncologist said to give it to her, and said to give her that much. I can't remember the exact reasoning; I was kinda in shock at the time.

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

7. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Angus (FD) - Cosequin and Adequan for arthritis confirmed by X-ray
    Minou (civie) -Denamarin (milk thistle and Sam-e) for continuing mildly elevated ALT and AST

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.