What wet food is best for my cat (can no longer afford DM)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by GailandMax, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GailandMax

GailandMax New Member

Dear friends,

This is Gail (and Max my 15 yr old diabetic). We're doing great, but I can no longer afford the Purina DM wet food I was buying from my vet. Which commercial food is the BEST for a diabetic cat? (I cannot use the tables, I cannot sit or think too clearly due to my injuries). Which are the say, top 3 or 4 brands of wet food that have the best analysis for a diabetic cat?

Thank you!
    Gail.

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Many of us feed our cats either Fancy Feast or Friskies canned foods. If you use Janet & Binky's food list, the link is on this page viewtopic.php?f=14&t=115, look for foods with a high number in the protein column and less than 10 in the carbs column. Try to avoid foods that say they have gravy in them.

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Gail

Does Max have any health issues besides diabetes?
    Allergens to fish, beef? You'll want to rule those out before changing foods, if there is pancreatitis or other issues that require a special diet.

Some examples, many people feed Fancy Feast low carb selections
    the grocery store brands like Fancy Feast, 9-Lives and Friskies usually under a $1,

Fancy Feast - anything grilled, minced, and sliced and with gravy will be anywhere from MC (medium carb) to HC (high carb)
    all other Fancy Feast flavours are about 10% or less, which is a good range for low carb. Pate blends are good choices.

Friskies, 9-Lives also have some flavours with gravy, it should say on the label.
    Sophisticate and Special Kitty are also economical choices.
    Just keep an eye out for gravy content , most usually do say on the label.

Wellness, about $1.50 or so a can, is a good choice too but can run a bit higher if u have multiple cats.

EDIT TO ADD: if you are changing brands, dont buy a case just yet....buy a couple of different brands and flavours, go easy on the seafood (too much fish not so good for kitties, plus they get addicted to it)

you'll prob spend some time experimenting to see which kind Max will stick to., thats why I say dont buy a case.

good luck!

4. thepeach80

thepeach80 Member

We do the Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys, Sophisticat Gourmet I think it is, and Meow Mix Wholesome Goodness. This last one is not on the list, but judging ingredients, it looks o.k. to me and Arnold loves it! We do the sliced or chunked foods, he hates the loaf/pate kind, but that's what the DM is so you're cat will have more options. We went through almost everything on Binky's list and found he likes beef the best, then turkey, then chicken and fish so I just went out and stocked up on beef for him, it's harder to find in the stuff he likes. Good luck!

5. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Gail, I feed Friskies regular pate and Special Diet pate, plus a few Fancy Feast flavors. Some of the Sophisticat ones are ok and 9 Lives, but I think they changes their recipes/flavors because I could not find any of the ones I wrote down.

Here is a list - ones I wrote down and take with me to the store:

Friskies:
    Country Dinner (7% calories from carbs)
    Poultry Platter (7%)
    Mixed Grill (8%)
    Liver & Chicken (7%)
    Supreme Supper (7%)
    Special Diet Beef & Liver (4%)
    Special Diet Turkey & Giblets (5%)
    Special Diet Beef & Chicken (4%)
    Special Diet Salmon Dinner (5%)

Fancy Feast
    Tender Beef Feast (3%)
    Gourmet Chiken Feast (4%)
    Turkey & Giblets (3%)

Sophisticat:
    Beef & Liver (1%)
    Beef Stew (4%)
    Elegant Entree (6%)
    Dalmon Dinner (3%)
    Country Style DInner (1%)
    Chicken DInner (13%)
    Special Diet Beef & Chicken (7%)
    Specail Diet Turkey & Giblets (6)

That should give you a place to start.

6. GailandMax

GailandMax New Member

Hello everyone! THANK YOU for all the replies...they really helped!

My computer is old and slow so could not check until now. I've printed out your replies and will take that list with me to the store.

YES I will buy 'test cans' first before buying cases...I've had cats for a long time, and know about giving them one can of a specific flavor, they say "I Love this one mommy' , then buying a case of it, to find that they have changed their minds!

Max does not have any other health issues...just diabetes, so I don't have to worry about allergies.

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!!
    Love,
    Gail and Max

7. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

In Canada, Walmart sells a line of food called sophisticat. Some of its products are direct fancy feast knockoffs but cheaper. There is also a line of 'stews' which seem to be pretty decent and are sold in slightly larger cans for a good price. They also have some of the knockoff flavours in big cans which is great if your cats like it.

8. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

In addition to what's been listed - I also feed:

EVO 95% - chicken and turkey

it comes in beef (every time I try it, it doesn't seem to be mixed properly)
    and venison (my firls weren't excited)

These are all low carb - 0-3%

I also feed raw - Nature Variety is a good one to start with - chicken is recalled, so try lamb, beef or rabbit

9. GailandMax

GailandMax New Member

Thanks for the Evo info. Looks like I have many choices for Max. HOW DO YOU DETERMINE % OF CARBS IN CAT FOOD? I can't see it listed on the labels...is it called something else?

(How do you get the photo uploaded by your name? I cannot figure it out, and I'd like to have a pic of Max up there)

Love to all,
    Gail and Max

10. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

11. GailandMax

GailandMax New Member

Thank you so much! (I found that table, but had difficulty understanding it...I'm disabled and in a lot of pain which has really messed with my thinking processes!)

And thanks for the photo upload info. If my computer doesn't crash maybe I can get Max upo there.

Love,
    Gail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.