What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marci and Buddy, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marci and Buddy

Marci and Buddy Member

Yesterdays amps was 117( :D ),and I had to leave. his dose now is F.50u--
    I know "Lev.likes consistency",but thought he may hypo, so i gave .50u.
    I expect I will be in that same situation again soon, what is the best thing to do ?
    I know "shoot low to stay low",but shoot what? The difficulty with FD is that there are no clear rules to follow, sometimes it's a personal judgement call,right?Would like to know how more experienced users have done in this situation....thanks so much.

2. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

You didn't drop the dose so much that it would hamper the progress you and he have made so far. Where people mess things up is when they drop the dose in half based on a lower than they're used to preshot. When they drop it that much it takes several days to get back to where they were. But almost everyone does it to keep their cat safe, so BGs are higher for the next few days. No harm done.

The best thing to do is test, test, test! Once you see for yourself what happens with a full dose on a 117 preshot, you won't be skiddish anymore.

Otherwise, if you feel you need to give a little less insulin, it's OK, just be aware you may loose momentum because the carryover/shed will deplete.

3. Marci and Buddy

Marci and Buddy Member

your reply is perfect timing-Buddy is at +13 and bg is 110...i just shot his reg.F.50 , he usually goes higher for a few hours after his shot, before he goes lower.
    guess it takes time for the Lev. to kick in,so i'll test test test....thanks Vicky.

4. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with Vicky about shooting the full dose on a low when you are there to "test, test, test". From the results of that you can decide what to do when you won't be there. And I would say to keep testing when you can after shooting a lower than "usual" PS, so you know that on day 3, for instance, of a series of lows that he will still be ok.

Good job!

5. Marci and Buddy

Marci and Buddy Member

ok Sheila, thanks for your clarity and support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.