What's going on with Chloe?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by srk4cats, Aug 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

Why is she so hungry? She's been polishing off 2 cans of Royal Canin (6 oz) each feeding and I've been waking up with empty tins next to my pillow. I suspect there might be some action during the night because the bathroom door was closed and the rug was in the hall. Maybe I'm assuming too much thinking that she doesn't go into Fuzma's room and eat some of her kibble. She only ate 1-1/2 cans (4 oz) this morning. She left some in her bowl. I don't know what's making her numbers so crazy. Got a letter from the vet who wouldn't write a prescription saying they are dropping Chloe as a client. So, I emailed a vet who only sees cats to see if she will accept home monitoring. As I write this, Chloe is back at her food bowl eating again. She whimpers and yowls some when she eats. I wonder if her teeth are bothering her. She's still eating. I think it's going to be 2 full cans. btw, I know I can be difficult and stubborn, but I am relying on your advice. Thanks in advance. Roberta

2. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

My advice is the same as before... Get mid cycle tests or before bed tests to see where she's going on the 2 units. If she's eating more the tests might show she needs a very small increase. The tests could also show the opposite and she might need a decrease.
    I know she's underweight so the extra food is ok but the higher the carb the higher the numbers. Wet food is best since she's dehydrated often.
    Tests are the only way to know how the insulin is working.
    I had a problem with Chuck getting into the dog's kibble. I got a wonder pet selective feeder and his numbers got better and were more consistent. Maybe you can get one for Fuzma? It was around $50. It has a tag that goes on their collar and it only opens if the tag tells it to. I've thought about getting one for my civvie but he refuses to wear a collar. He plays dead until I take it off.
    Missing the appt for the curve could have made your vet decide to drop Chloe. Some vets are profit driven and missing appts decreases profits.
    You're doing great on the preshots. A test right before bed and right before going out the door might help show if she's dropping too fast or what is really going on during the cycle.

3. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

GA is used for the cats that have passed away. I would change the tag to the ?

4. srk4cats

That's funny about your cat playing dead to avoid wearing a collar. I've never even tried putting a collar on Fuzma. She would be furious if I tried. She has some weird skin condition or allergies and is always scratching at her ears. I tried a collar on Chico for awhile, but he kept trying to pull it off and it would get stuck in his mouth. I'll check to make sure there is no food out ANYWHERE before I go to bed tonight.

5. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Her food would be ok to leave out but not the other higher carb stuff the others eat.
    They do have feeders that use the microchips you get put in by the vet. They are more expensive. It can be a pain trying to keep them out of HC kibble but it's well worth the effort.

6. srk4cats

If I leave Chloe's food out, Chico would eat it. If I leave out Fuzma and Chloe's food, I'm not sure if Chloe gets into it. So it's going to be no food at all until breakfast. Oh, and Chloe is the only one who isn't micro-chipped. I got her from a private party.

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well in that case, you could get Chloe microchipped and try one of those feeders.

8. srk4cats

This morning I again woke up with an empty tin of cat food next to my pillow. But before I noticed that, I had a dizzy spell and fell getting out of bed. I broke my best ceramics piece when I fell. I got it together enough to take Chloe's BG reading and give her breakfast. Chico ate most of it, but I can't really get up and carry him away, so I'll just have to open another can for Chloe. Good news is my order for Prozinc is finally on its way.

9. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

It's not the same micro chip for finding a lost pet. It's a micro chipped collar designed to only to allow access to the food in that feeder by the kitty wearing the chipped collar.

10. srk4cats

Wow. High tech. I'll do it manually. I have a new vet who only works with cats and has some experience with feline diabetes. We see her in a couple weeks (I can only go on Saturdays). Since I'm home today, I got a couple of mid-cycle readings. It's been in yellow all day. Also, it's a good thing I was home, because the Prozinc was delivered around 1:30. It was cold-packed, but didn't seem especially cold to me. If I'd been at work, I wouldn't have gotten it til after 5 and it's still 100 degrees outside.

11. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Those are nice pre shots! I wonder if the extra food is keeping her in better numbers by keeping the drops from being too quick and/or too low.

12. srk4cats

Yes, I've been opening 2 3-oz cans of RC lately. When she's still hungry but can't reach some of the food in the corners, she yowls until I scrape them down to the center. Don't you think her numbers are still too high?

13. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

They are too high but better than the previous week. If you can get a before bed test tonight or sometime mid cycle tonight it will show how low she's getting.
    With Chuck, he had to get use to having better numbers and his bounces got better. Didn't go away but weren't as often or as high.
    I would keep testing for ketones. She developed them before when she was seeing similar numbers. It's not a guarantee that she'll get them but it's more common once they have DKA.
    Keep giving extra water or enticing to keep her hydrated.
    You might end up increasing her dose by a tiny amount once she gets use to these numbers but when/if it happens closer monitoring will be necessary until you know how she's reacting to an increase.
    I hope your new vet has a lot of experience with FD. It would make it much easier for both of you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.