What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by houghtam, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houghtam

houghtam Member

I'm new to this site and am confused as to the difference between this page and the tight controlled one. Hardey has been getting 2 units of lantus in the morning and night. Vet told me Tuesday that his levels were good (averaged about 150 all day at vets) and to continue. I decided to try home testing yesterday just to kind of get the hang of it. When I got my first reading at dosage time last night and it was in the 80s, I got concerned. People on here advised me not to give shot and we tested a few more times last night. This morning, at dosage time, it was 115. Still not giving shot. Not sure which of thes two pages I should be on. Advice?

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Would you please add the type of insulin to your signature? Thanks.

The difference with the Relaxed Lantus forum is that there are a lot fewer people over here. Not as many experienced people either. You will wait longer for a response. Not many people that post here are comfortable giving dosing advice.

You can follow either SLGS (Start Low, Go Slow) protocol or the TR protocol and post in the Lantus TR forum. You would note the SLGS in your signature if that is the protocol you decide to follow.

This sticky from Lantus TR forum describes the TR protocol and has some links.

This link describes the SLGS approach.

Hope that helps.

3. houghtam

houghtam Member

Added it. Thank you and thanks for the input. I just wasn't sure where I should be.... :)

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If, for whatever reasons, following the Tight Regulation protocol isn't feasible, the Relaxed forum is a better place.

For example, I'm helping Jo with Dusty but can't be there every day to test, shoot, etc. So I'm doing what I can and hoping it'll work out safely for him.

5. houghtam

houghtam Member

Thanks, BJM. Right now I am home to test/give insulin as needed, but next week, summer vacation is over and I won't be home from 7 am until 4 pm. I'm hoping I have a routine down by then.

6. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Well lets see if I can give you a better description of the difference...Over on Tight Regulation they strive to keep a cat much lower than we do here, but in doing so they test much more often than we do here, although there are lots of here that do test alot but it is person preference. On RL we only ask that you test enough to keep your cat safe while on insulin, or at the very least preshots and a lights out test before going to bed at night, then on a free day once a week you run a curve so we can help you with dosing advice.

While we all strive for remission RL and TR go about it slightly different, on TR because they try to hold the cat in normal numbers (40-120 on a human meter) they test multiple times a day as well as trying for several overnight tests, which works great and is necessary when holding a cat that low while on insulin. However, for some of us that just isn't possible for a myriad of reasons, work, a cat that never read the stickies on how to be a good sugar cat, other family responsiblities, human health problems etc.

We also hold the dose longer and make adjustments to the dose slightly different as well. In the true SLGS protocol a cat earns a reduction in dose anything they fall below 90, however, most of us here have found that it works better to wait until they give us a number below 50 as a newly diagnoised diabetic and below 40 for someone like my Autumn that is a long term diabetic (over a year on insulin)

Yes, we are a much smaller board and there are fewer folks here than on TR...But honestly, from what I have seen on both boards there are basically only a few folks on either board that are comfortable giving dosing advice, so that shouldn't be a factor on deciding where to post. If you decide to post here, great we would love to have you, however, should you find that we aren't getting back to you quickly enough you are always welcome to post on either the TR or the Health board where you will have more eyes and get a faster response.

I haven't been around much in the last few months due to computer problems but I am now back on as will be here at least once a day during the week for awhile and then more often once things calm down a little after the summer rush. but I have 2 diabetic cats...Maxwell how has been in remission going on 3 years now and Autumn who just started her OTJ trial last night. I am always willing to help work with someone to help them understand what the numbers on the meter mean and how to know when to raise and lower a dose based on what you are seeing. Because we are a smaller group I do think we tend to try to spend a little more time explaining the wherefors and whys for what we recommend, not sure that is always possible on TR due to the high volume of posts.

We also have less rules on how you post, we don't require a daily condo if everything is going great, we don't limit the posts to just dosing advice and allow a lot of just chit chat etc.

Hopefully that gives you a better idea of the difference between the two Lantus forums.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

7. houghtam

houghtam Member

Thanks for the response! That is kind of what I thought when I started perusing each board. As of today, Hardey is OTJ on day 5. Keep your fingers crossed it continues. I go back to school (teacher) next week, so my available time to test/monitor will be much less. He's doing really great right now. :)

8. nckitties3

nckitties3 Well-Known Member

Congrats to Hardey! flip_cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.