When do I switch him to low carb food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jen n Leo, Nov 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen n Leo

Jen n Leo New Member

Hi! Leo was just diagnosed this past week. I just started testing last night. He is still on his old dry food. Should I start switching him to a wet food now or wait a bit until I have a better understanding of his curve? When I switch him do I need to test more often through the cycle? Thanks!

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome!

As he stops eating the dry food his insulin needs will probably change, so yes you will need to monitor him a bit more closely during the transition so that you can make the dose adjustments if he needs them, so you will need to do the pre shot tests and at least one test mid cycle or more if you do notice him going down

Jen n Leo likes this.
  3. Jen n Leo

Jen n Leo New Member

Thank you!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Not all canned foods are equal. You want to select foods that are under 10% carbohydrate. Lisa Pierson, DVM has a wonderful website on feline nutrition and also has a chart that lists pages. upon pages of canned foods along with their nutritional content, including carbs. Dr. Lisa's site also has a section on the website about how to transition a cat from dry to canned food.

The challenge with a diabetic cat that's receiving insulin is that as you remove the carbs, insulin needs can drop and sometimes drop dramatically. As Veronica was suggesting, it will be crucial to monitor your cat's blood glucose levels so you know that Leo is in safe numbers. I'd also suggest that you make sure you have supplies in case his numbers do drop unexpectedly low. You'll want to have corn syrup (e.g., Karo) or honey or maple syrup or even a homemade sugar solution (equal parts sugar and water) in case you need to bump. up his numbers. (You could also hold on to some of the dry food which will likely raise Leo's numbers, too.) The key here is to transition from dry to canned so. you have an idea how much the dry food is contributing to higher numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.