? When do you typically see a bounce begin after a dose increase?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Melissa and Rascal, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melissa and Rascal

Melissa and Rascal Member

I have a crazy bouncing kitty here (at least that's what we are assuming), and I'm wondering about the timing of the bounces. I know once they start they can last up to 3 days, but do they sometimes begin a couple or few days after an increase?

2. Andrea&Tennessee (GA)

Andrea&Tennessee (GA) Well-Known Member

I know that in the case of Tennie, sometimes he will have a delayed bounce that can happen a day or so after lower numbers that he is not used to.
    Sometimes I think he bounces more than surfing good numbers. I am not sure if the delayed bounce is normal or not, but it does happen.

3. Melissa and Rascal

I have what looks like a bounce starting a few days after an increase. What?!

4. Andrea&Tennessee (GA)

Andrea&Tennessee (GA) Well-Known Member

That could be NDW, (new dose wonkyness). Sometimes when you up the dose the Kitty's BG goes up for a few cycles instead of down.
    This happens with Tennie. The first cycle of an increase with him will bring him down. Then he will head up for a couple of cycles before adjusting to the new dose and heading down. It can be super frustrating.

5. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

What you're seeing is likely a bounce (slightly delayed) from the fast drop on PM 9/24 that was a big drop at +2 , same as PM 9/20 when the bounce was more immediate. A big drop at +2 usually indicates an active cycle so it is advisable to get more tests earlier in the cycle to see just how low they go.

As Andrea mentioned in some kitties an increase in dose can cause NDW but I'm not seeing evidence of that in Rascals spreadsheet at this point.

If you're following TR I think it's time for an increase to 1 unit, maybe in the morning...

Can you add some details to your signature please - meter type, insulin type, which protocol you're following and any other medical issues. Those details are essential for anyone trying to help you.

ETA - I've just seen you have another condo going, please don't do that. We like to keep all the kitties info in one place, i.e. One condo per day per kitty with the subject line adjusted as necessary. There are a lot of kitties here so the board is crowded enough as it is and it gets confusing for everyone. I also saw Marje advised you to hold this dose for 10 cycles so I would go ahead and do that instead of the 8 I was suggesting :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  6. Melissa and Rascal

Andrea and Vyktor's Mum,
    Thank you for the advice and reassurance! It's late now after a busy day and another early, busy day tomorrow. I think Rascal may be breaking her bounce PMPS=294 +2=227. I can't stay up all night but I may try to watch this and at least sleep with the meter next to us to we can test whenever we wake up. Otherwise I will be home a lot tomorrow and can catch a more thorough curve. I will also add more info about Rascal to our signature. I didn't even know people were doing that. I hadn't noticed it, but at least I got the link to the spreadsheet on there. Not as complicated as I feared. I will also remove this second thread tomorrow. The other is longer now so I will stick with that one, but I've like to print this one or otherwise archive it first so I don't lose the information you two have shared here. I will take care of that tomorrow. Good night and thanks again! :)

7. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Just an fyi - on the Lantus/Lev group here we ask everyone to start a new thread each day. On Main Health people use one and keep adding to it, but here we all start a new thread/condo each day to keep things simple. There's more about this on the "New to the Group?" sticky.

With his +2 being 70 points lower than his preshot tonight, I'd get a +4 to see where he's going. That's a pretty big drop for a +2.

I don't know your regular feeding schedule, but I'd give him some regular low carb food now to help him have a slow drop in blood sugar rather than any fast action. I think you might be seeing some blue numbers tonight!

8. Melissa and Rascal

We had an active night and I think we are headed toward another active cycle today. I will be watching. I had scanned the newcomer info sticky but totally missed the part about posting one thread per day, etc. Sorry about that. I copied this thread so I could keep the good info you all gave and I was just trying to delete this thread since it was the second I posted a couple days ago, but I can't seem to. Is there a way to delete a thread? If not, should we just let it go dead? I will then either start a new one at one a day or go back to the first one I started on with the discussion about Rascal bouncing and adjust the title as needed. Thanks for the head's up!

9. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

No worries - it's different here than on Main Health and most people start out trying to use 1 thread and add on to it.

If you want to keep information, you can bookmark the thread - on my computer using Chrome, there is a star on the right side of the website address that can be clicked, and that will add the link to my browser's bookmark collection. Sometimes I copied the URL (address) of a thread I wanted to keep and pasted that address into my spreadsheet in the comments column. That let me have the condo (thread) where things were discussed right with the spreadsheet row that was relevant.

Go ahead and let this one drop down and just start a new one tomorrow. We link our old thread in the first post of the new one so that if someone helping (or even you) want to go back to see what was said previously, all you have to do is click on the link.

For example, when you start your new thread tomorrow, come to this one and copy the URL. Then open a new thread and first thing click that little icon that looks like a chain link, paste the URL into the window that opens, and click "insert" and it will put a clickable link into the post.

If that doesn't make sense, just say so. It might be clear as mud!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.