? When not to give insulin

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bojangles' Mom, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bojangles' Mom

Bojangles' Mom Member

Is everyone in agreement no insulin below 150 SLGS or at what number do you not dose? Last guideline from vet was below 180 pre-shot give .5 unless nadir is lower than 54 than no shot. Bobo's lowest nadir was 61, but most pre-shot measurements last 5 days have been under 96-139...last night's 158 was the highest. Advice on shot (.5) or no shot? I'll talk w/vet tomorrow.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

With those numbers in the 70's on Friday night, Bojangles earned the dose reduction to .25U that you gave today. Numbers below 90 earn a reduction according to SLGS. 0.25u should be the new dose going forward.

The guidelines in the SLGS Sticky Note suggest no insulin below 150 when you are new. Over time and as you gather data, you may be able to lower that value. But unless it's a cycle where you can monitor more to gather data, I don't think I'd be shooting those lower numbers. I don't think you have enough data yet to say what Bojangles will do starting with lower preshots. Take a look at how to handle lower than usual preshots in the SLGS sticky note.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm guessing from your SS that you're not home during most days. That being the case, you will need to accumulate data that informs your decision about whether or not to shoot lower numbers, as Wendy suggested.

One thing that can help is having a timed feeder. That way, if you're gone for the day, there will be food available.

4. Bojangles' Mom

Bojangles' Mom Member

I'm away weekdays 6:30am-5:00pm. Bobo grazes so her wet food is available at all times. Rarely does she fully clean her plate. My mom stops in around 10am (+4) which tends to be Bojangles lowest reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.