When not to give insulin ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Renee’, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renee’

Renee’ New Member

My cat Peanut has a low blood glucose of 101 at 9:28 pm . I am due to give him insulin ( 1 1/2 units of Lantus). His numbers are usually in the mid 200- to low 300. He isn’t eating a lot like he normally does. Do I give him his insulin shot or not tonight? I am going to retest him again. He is 112. He seems hungry and wants to eat but won’t eat more than a few bites.

2. CarliandMoxy

CarliandMoxy New Member

Personally, I would skip with numbers that low. My cat doesn't eat much when constipated, and my doc has always said if she won't eat, then don't give insulin. I hope all is well!

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I do not know how long Peanut has been on Lantus. With no spreadsheet or history to go by, and not eating a lot, I strongly suggest that you do not give insulin this evening.
    If Peanut's numbers become dangerously low, you cannot guarantee tonight that Peanut is willing to eat to in a low number situation.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would definitely skip the insulin tonight with a preshot of 112 and not eating well.
    We have no SS or history to go by and it is far safer for you to skip in these circumstances.
    It sounds as if Peanut could ne nauseated.and as said above he may not eat for you if he drops low

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

When you have time, could you change your signature please from Vetsulin to Lantus. Thanks

6. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

I'd skip .. of course you are the only one who knows your cat -- but if cat won't eat, there is something going on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.