When should I increase dose?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jen and Alfie, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Alfie is on his second day of Prozinc.

I'm delighted with the readings I got yesterday, he came down much more gently and stayed down for a nice long time. He also seemed more like his old self and less zoned out. :)Fingers crossed I'll see the same today.

My question is, how long should I hold him at 2 units before increasing? And what should his next dose be, 2.25U or 2.5U?

Also, out of interest as I'm new to using syringes rather than the vet pen, which bit of the marking on the syringe do people take as the mark? Do you pull the plunger to the front, middle or back or the marking line (if that makes sense?!). I'm going to the back of the unit mark line.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got to see the benefits of ProZinc yesterday. :)

You can increase after 3 cycles on a dose that's too low. That's where you are right now. Once you're in better BG territory you'll be holding a dose longer to see its full effect.

We recommend increases of 0.25 u at a time so you don't accidentally zoom past a good dose. You can eyeball these on a syringe that has half unit marks fairly easily. Just be consistent over time.

You decide what your idea of a full/half unit it is and stick with that. Consistency is more important that absolute accuracy. Personally, I find it easiest to use the top or bottom edge of a mark line rather than the middle.

Re syringes: ProZinc is a U40 insulin so you're using U40 syringes. Later on, you have the option of using U100 syringes and a conversion chart so you can measure out even smaller fractions of a dose. We can discuss that later. :)

Have a look at the ProZinc stickies to learn more about dosing, etc. Ask any questions you have.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Yong & Maury GA, Rachel and Djamila like this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes to everything Kris just said. And I'm so glad to hear your kitty seemed to be feeling better yesterday!

Jen and Alfie and Kris & Teasel like this.
  4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So glad to hear that Alfie is feeling better! No matter what numbers you're getting, that's one of the things we want to hear...how does he SEEM? I'm glad ProZinc is bringing him back to his old self.

Jen and Alfie likes this.
  5. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

I'll see what his PMPS numbers is tonight and might increase to 2.25U then. But if it's lower than I'm used to, I'll leave the increase until the morning when I can monitor him more closely.

Thank you :)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  6. Kris & Teasel

I only do increases in the AM. :)

Jen and Alfie likes this.
  7. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

We're on our third cycle of 2.25U this evening. I stupidly tried a new food this morning as a snack which I think might have spiked his numbers. That will teach me for trying to change too many things at once!' :banghead: We're also having some really hot weather here at the moment which may not be helping.

He's still reacting nice and gently to it though. I'm going to up to 2.5U tomorrow and cross my fingers for some yellows!

8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Ah yes, definitely try to only change 1 thing at a time. So we don't go crazy trying to figure which thing is causing change :smuggrin:. Time for some yellows tomorrow, Alfie! :cat:

9. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Great cycle happening at the minute with Alfie getting his first real blue! :cat:

Quick question (I realise I'm probably getting ahead of myself but I'm entering new territory with these numbers!). If he's in the mid/high teens at his PM pre shot test, should I keep the dose the same?

I know there are general guidelines on this but as this is his first properly low cycle, and he dropped so far today, I'm a bit nervous about giving the same dose if he's lower than I'm used to but above the recommended 'shot as usual' threshold.

Obviously I'll now have jinxed it and he'll be at 30 come pre shot time! ;)

10. Kris & Teasel

Well, look at Alfie go!! Your best bet is to post here for advice when you get his PMPS test done. Put the blue question mark icon in front of your thread title to get more attention (click on "thread tools" and then "edit" - the icons are in a little menu to the left of the title bar).

11. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

I know, he's flying today, I'm super proud! :D

Thanks, I'll do that. Fingers crossed he keeps cruising today!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  12. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

PMPS reading... 30.2

Guess I was right about jinxing it! :(

13. Kris & Teasel

No worries! He's bouncing from that low blue. I think he's a member of the Bouncy Kitty Club - it's quite large. ;) I'd stay with the 2.5 u dose for now. The extremes of BG are typical for bouncy kitties on Caninsulin.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Djamila likes this.
  14. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

I was hoping the switch to Prozinc might make him a bit less bouncy!

I'll keep him at 2.5 and see what the next couple of days brings.

Thank you!

15. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

It may but it will still take some time :). His body still isn't used to seeing blues :cool:

16. Kris & Teasel

Oops! Senior moment .... Give it some time - far too soon to tell what he'll do on ProZinc.

17. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

I know, thank you both. I need to find my patience pants!

On the plus side, he does seem better in himself. Much less hungry and more responsive. And the excess thirst and peeing is long gone.

Thank you for all your help. Not sure what I'd have done without this forum in the last few weeks :bighug:

18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Plenty of patience pants to go around here! We'll lend you some.

It's good to focus on how he is doing too, as you are! Remember he's more than just a number. The less hunger and more responsiveness is a good thing!

19. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

So good to hear that at least his symptoms are a bit better! And i agree about holding the dose for a couple of cycles now until the high flats have a chance to clear. Hopefully they won't linger for very long!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.