When should I up to 2 units?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jennifer block, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

Just wondering. Maybe look at his sheet & let me know what you think.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go up to 2U, but you could go up to 1.25 ....we don't recommend doing increases in whole units because even tiny changes can make big differences

You'll need U40 syringes that have half unit markings and then you have to just "eyeball" the .25 doses or you can switch to U100 syringes and use this conversion chart

You might want to start posting in the ProZinc Forum too.....you'll get the most experienced eyes watching out for you there. It's not as active sometimes, but you can also post here if you don't get a reply quickly. The insulin support groups are best for getting advice from people who are most experienced using the same insulin

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Jennifer! Just here to second Chris that 1.25 would be better. We recommend those smaller dose increases for sure.

Please feel free to come post on ProZinc anytime! We'd love to have you in our little group.

As Chris said, we aren't as active as Health or Lantus. We're most active in the morning and evenings, but there's usually someone around midday too...sometimes there isn't anyone on there, but you'll usually get a reply in a few hours at most if you post midday. Most of us over there make it a point to check in morning and evening. If you ever do have an emergency, though, we recommend immediately posting there and on Health to be sure you get plenty of eyes on it. :)

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  4. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

Is prozinc a u- 40 needle or a u-100 needle

5. Chris & China (GA)

It should be a U40....with a red cap

U100 syringes have orange caps

6. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

Omg. Ive been shooting him with u-100 needles, to the 1st mark. What is that?

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Woah! Okay, well the good news is that the 1st line on u100 needles is only 0.4 units of insulin. So it's not too much.

So you've got u100s with the orange cap? You'll need to use this Conversion Chart. Since you've been shooting 0.4 units instead of 1 unit, I'd recommend going up to 0.6 units (the 1.5 line on the u1oo needles).

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Please do be 110% certain that you are using u100 needles though. You don't want to use the u40s with the conversion chart for sure!

9. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

I have the orange cap. No wonder his numbers are not going any where. Will it hurt if i start tomorrow morning???

10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Just wanted to be sure. It's so strange your vet gave u100s with a u40 insulin! It's definite ProZinc, not PZI right? It's happened a few times before where the vet gives the wrong needles...but definitely something to make sure your vet knows happened so they don't make that mistake again!

Nope, it'll be fine to start tomorrow morning! Most of us do dose increases during the day so we can monitor and have people around if things get low. :)

11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That will be fine. Make sure you print out the conversion chart and post it where you'll see it.

12. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

#heartattack

13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It's totally fine! The good news is you've been giving too little, not too much, so no harm done!

I prescribe some chocolate and some wine for you tonight...you need it! :p

14. Chris & China (GA)

It depends on the U100 syringes you have.....do they have half unit markings or only whole unit?

insulin syringe scale.PNG

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  15. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

I think what happened is the pharmacy, knowing novolin is a u-100 (novolin was what that crazy Psycho serial killer eyes doc prescribed to Mu-mu in the beginning), changed my script from u-40 to u-100. Then all chaos broke loose when the other doctors called. I thought i had u-40 this whole time!!!!! Im such a bad mom!!! Omg!!!

16. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

It looks like the right.

Attached Files:

17. Kris & Teasel

Your U100 syringes are larger in capacity than we normally use. Your hold 50 units and we generally use syringes that hold 30 units. The difference is that the lines might be a bit further apart on the 30 unit syringes and that can help with eyeballing doses between the marks.

18. Chris & China (GA)

OK....the very first line, closest to the needle, is always the "zero" line.....on the syringes you have, the first line after that would be 1U

The 50 unit syringes don't come with half unit markings....only the 3/10ml (30 unit max) do

19. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

So 1 unit of prozinc on a u-100, is the first line?

20. Kris & Teasel

Looking downward from the needle, the first black line is zero, the next is 1 and so on. The fifth line should have a 5 beside it.

21. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

So tomorrow mornings dose should be between 1 & 2.

22. Kris & Teasel

Wait! Hold the phone! You're using ProZinc which is a U40 insulin. You're dosing with U100 syringes, right? Please verify this before I go any further.

23. Kris & Teasel

Do you have a copy of the conversion chart printed out and sitting beside you? Reading back in the posts here, I see that a dose of 1.25 u was suggested for tomorrow. If you look at the conversion chart you can see that the allowed fractions with a U100 syringe are 0.2, o.4, 0.6 and 0.8. The closest you can get to 1.25 u is 1.2 u if you're using a U100 syringe. Notice on the chart to the right of 1.2u (U40) you see 3.0 in the column that tells you how much to draw up in the U100 syringe. That means on the syringes you have, you'll line up the insulin level with the third line AFTER the zero line. Make sense?

24. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

Yes, it makes sense. And yes, prozinc using u100.

25. Kris & Teasel

OK. Does my explanation of how to use the chart make sense to you?

26. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

Yes. Does this look right?

20170719_225512.jpg

27. Kris & Teasel

28. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

Ok. Off to bed. Ill check in tomorrow. Thanks everyone!!!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  29. Chris & China (GA)

No.....IF you've been using U100 syringes with ProZinc and have only been giving 1U, that's only .4 units of ProZinc

To increase to .6 units of ProZinc (the next available dose) you'd only go to 1.5 units on a U100 syringe...which you can't do too easily on syringes with whole unit markings, but it's doable. You'll just have to eyeball it

Going from 1U to 3U on the U100 syringes would be going from .4 of ProZinc to 1.2.....that's 3 times as much!!

@Kris & Teasel ....am I thinking right here?

30. Kris & Teasel

Yes, you are!! I was going by the 1.25 u dose recommended earlier and somehow forgot/missed that was before the discussion of the syringes. A dose of 0.6 u is still too low I think. Will suggest 0.8 u and hope CG sees it.

31. Kris & Teasel

Hi Jennifer,

Change of plan: dose to the second line this AM - ie., 0.8 u.
    You'd been giving only 0.4 u (to the first line after the zero). I think it would be better to go to the second line (o.8 u) next. I admit I got confused because there was a dose recommendation of 1.25 u that came before the discussion of the syringe type you were using. To be safer, try a smaller jump in dose instead. The usual starting dose for ProZinc is 1 u twice a day and you'd be under that by a little.

The BGs on your SS are high enough for a dose of 0.8 u. This whole situation, though, highlights the problems/confusion that arises when we aren't speaking in the same terms - syringe type, dose size, etc. :confused:

Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  32. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

I did not see this until now. His dose time are 5:15am & pm. . I stayed home from work though to keep an eye on him. He seems fine.

Ill check his bg soon.

33. Kris & Teasel

He'll likely be fine. Just being cautious. If you gave that 1.2 u dose could you put that on your SS? If people see 1.2 u they'll know you're using U100 syringes.

34. Jennifer block

Jennifer block Member

I did. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.